We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Playa Santa Teresa to Samara

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Playa Santa Teresa to Samara

What is the best route to take? We will be driving this at the end of February. I have put in a route request in Google Maps, and it is sending me on a big U shaped route going back East and then across to Samara. I have a 4X4 Jimny rented. Is the route#160 a viable alternative? How well marked is the road? Time wise, what is the quickest way? Suggestions?

Edited: 10:01 am, February 01, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Playa Santa Teresa to Samara

2 routes...the main route up the inside coast and then the pacific coast route. the 2nd route up the pacific coast is all unpaved dusty rock/gravel roads. Some beach driving (check the tide charts) and a few river crossings. It's a fun and beautiful route and we don't regret the choice but yes, you are taking some chances in your rental (beach driving a no-no and river crossings a no-no). The road is not marked at all and I'm glad we had a GPS because you come to a lot of 'intersections' and there are no signs to guide you. Time wise...I would say the coast route is much shorter but it still takes probably just as long as the other route because you're driving much slower.

You'll have a great trip - looks like you've picked 2 great spots to visit - Sta. Teresa and Samara!

have fun!

lwbc

A nice place
Level Contributor
828 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Playa Santa Teresa to Samara

Take the route along the coast. It is dry season and you have a 4x4, you won't have any problems. This route is much nicer, you can get directions from this site: www.yourtravelmap.com/costarica/travelmap/

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Playa Santa Teresa to Samara

If you do take the coastal route, you will have to ford 3 rivers just north of Santa Teresa.

Feb. is one of the driest months of the year and the river levels should be at their lowest, but it is always best to be cautious.

When you get to these rivers, walk them first and be sure of the safest crossing, or wait for another vehicle to go first. Many of the crossings are not direct.

Be sure to put the vehicle into 4x4 and first gear, don't go bombing through the river and creating a huge wave, slow and steady will get you across safely. If you go too fast, you will flood the engine and cause damage not covered by your rental insurance. You don't want to stall the vehicle either, and whatever you do, don't panic! If you damage a rental in a river or the ocean, consider yourself a proud owner of a vehicle in Costa Rica!

Be respectful of the rental. I see many people driving them like they are racing cars with the idea that it is a rental so who cares.

4. Re: Driving from Playa Santa Teresa to Samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 03, 2014