We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

An international travel security alert has been posted and United wants us at the airport 3 hours before departure time. We are leaving at 7:30 AM so 3 hours earlier is a LOT earlier. Does anyone know if the 3 hours is essential? We have a 1.5 hour trip to the aiport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

The 3 hours has been for a while...some times we drive costumers based on 2 hours prior departure and not problem...the best is ask United since most airlines have safety protocols on there own...and they can and will close the flight any time they may like...

roadadvisor

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

Here in Toronto 3hrs is normal for international flights. And 7:30 flight to CR is late for us. Recomend you get hotel the night before have dinner relax and start. Holiday. Your car gets parked for free for the week. Probably works out cheaper this way then a weekly park and fly deal at the airport. Depending on where you live you now don't have to worry about winter weather driving, car breaking down etc.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

I have found that on many flights to Costa Rica, you can't use online check in and you must stand in line with all the other passengers to check in at the airline counter. Some offer "baggage drop" but it is not a true baggage drop in the sense that you will still need to check in. This can be a rather lengthy process and if there is enhanced security, then that will take longer.

If you are flying FROM Liberia, then yes, 3 hours would be correct because you will need to pay your departure tax, fill out the form and stand in line with everyone else.

It also depends on how many flights are departing around the same time.

What I would recommend is to just spend the night somewhere near the airport and arrive 3 hours ahead of time the next morning. Not the cheapest option, but the easiest and most confident of getting on your flight.

Edited: 1:01 pm, January 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

I would suggest that you wait until you arrive in Liberia and then just go to the check-in counters and ask personnel there how early they open the United counter for check-in. I may be wrong, but I doubt that the check-in counter is even open at 4:30 AM, 3 hours before your flight. I do agree with others that it would be a lot less stressful if you spent the last nite near the airport, particularly if you have to drop off a rental car.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

If the airline says be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time, the check-in counters will be open. Probably. You know what it's like -- standing in line with 200 (mas o menos) other passengers. It takes a lot of time to process them all.

Can't hurt to ask, though.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

We just flew UA Liberia to Houston yesterday....there was a security alert but we were fine getting there 2 hrs prior to our flight. Check in was quick...the longest lines were to pay the departure tax. We had checked in the day before so all we had to do was get our boarding passes printed and luggage tagged.

Enjoy!

lwbc

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

Usually its 2.5 hours for SJO. You also need to pay your Departure Tax first, then go check in to the airline, the airline counters close 1 hour prior to International Departure.

If there is a security alert, then they are going to be searching all luggage, and even in the Jetway to plane, bags, purses etc. I got stuck in one of these in Paris, US Airlines are extremely sensitive to any alerts/threats. We had carry ons but were not allow to take on, everyone had to check their bags, and they triple checked passports/tickets. No Fun

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

My mistake thought she was leaving from somewhere in the states, Im anxious about my up coming trip.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

A suggestion would be to pay your departure tax prior to arrival at the airport...this will save you time. Security yesterday was quick...and yes, there were checking all carryon prior to boarding but again, that went smoothly and no delays.

lwbc

Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liberia Airport - arrival time under security alert

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments. We are going to move to a hotel near the airport to make it easier.