We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Leona

Thorold, Ont. Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Leona

We are going to this place called Hotel Punta Leona. Has anyway got any info on it?

canada
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Leona

hi! I wish someone would have answered this post. My husband and I also are going there for 5 nights, we too, are from Canada. Has anyone stayed here?Lisa

canada
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Leona

hi! I wish someone would have answered this post. My husband and I also are going there for 5 nights, we too, are from Canada. Has anyone stayed here?Lisa

NY,NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Leona

I have stayed there - it is okay. The grounds are great and it is an enormous complex. The room need some updating.

Enjoy!

canada
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Leona

Hi thanks for the repy! what do you mean it's ok? what is nearby ? please tell more? anything

NY,NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Leona

I stayed there twice and had a good time. My only hestitation is that the second time I stayed I had a few problems with roaches in the room and trouble getting my keycard to work which was a fairly big problem since the checkin building is a 5 minute drive from the regular selvamar hotel rooms. The grounds are fabulous with access to a beach - they provide a shuttle that runs every 20-30 minutes, the staff is friendly, and the food good. The hotel is between Jaco beach and Carara National Park (home of a 100 pairs of Scarlet Macaw) and near the Tarcoles River and bridge where you can see crocodiles below. There is a canopy tour on the grounds that I would not recommend. There is a nice set of gift shops at the villa lapas hotel which is about a 5-10 minute drive. There is a good horseback riding place near Punta Leona with a trail through the forest, cow farm and beach. You can do day trips to Manual Antonio Park/Quepos - its lots of fun there and worth the trip and wild bridges you drive over.

Shrewsbury UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Leona

Punta Leona ��� hmm. Out of all the places we stayed in when we visited CR in February/March last year, it���s the one we would be least likely to return to. That said, it���s very pleasant, our room was in excellent repair and the site is well managed. The problem for us is that it isn���t really Costa Rica ��� it���s completely enclosed, with very noticeable security. If you���re looking for isolation, it���s ideal ��� there will be just you and the other tourists ��� and the site is rather gorgeous. They seem to manage their section of rainforest pretty well and there is plenty of wildlife. For us though, more ���authentic��� places owned and run by local people have more appeal. Hope this doesn���t put you off. If you want a tropical holiday with warm sea, sun and beaches, you can���t go wrong.

If you���re at all interested, there���s a trip report on our website, avengerpenguins.com, which is mostly about birds and wildlife but goes in to some of the issues that are relevant to most tourists. There���s a section on Punta Leona. When you go, make sure you visit the Rio Tarcoles bridge (about 5 miles away) to see the crocodiles in the river, and take binoculars wherever you go.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
long island
Level Contributor
225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Leona

My husband, 11year-old daughter and I stayed at Punta Leona 3 years ago in February. I found it on the internet and went sight unseen and had a wonderful time. We rented a car in san jose and drove to Punta Leona. I think you definetly would like to have a car if you plan on exploring. Jaco is around a twenty minute drive from the resort. We were one of very few from the US...all the rest of the people were Costa ricans (ticos) We don't speak Spanish but we like a challenge and never felt uncomfortable. We loved the natural beauty surrounding the resort...it is so large and spread out that we would drive our car to the 'white' sand beach. They have a golden and black sand beach also. We did not have a meal plan so we paid each time we ate at the resort.We would go off for a few hours each day exploring so we'd eat in Jaco or because there is a little grocery store at the resort we would buy snacks.

If exquisite room features are important to you the selavar? rooms won't please you. If your primary interest is nature you should like this place. They also have one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. I could go on and on but just ask specific questions and I'll give you my opinion.

Shrewsbury UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Leona

I wouldn't disagree with naturewoman about the natural beauty of the place - and despite it's size it is quite sympathetically laid out, but when we visited, just prior to the Iraq war getting started, when less US citizens were travelling, we found that most of the people staying there were from North America (and a few from England). Being from the UK, we can't really tell the difference, so perhaps they were all Canucks!

Anyway, when you go, try to get a good guide to the birds of Costa Rica. There are hummingbirds, trogons (look them up if you don't know - they're fabulous) and lots of stunning tanagers on the site, and US readers might not be impressed, but we were delighted by the Raccoon that came to visit us at the bar one night.

Mentioned in this post
Iraq
Iraq
Middle East
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America