We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Car Rental at Liberia Airport Beware

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty Car Rental at Liberia Airport Beware

Thrifty Car rentals - Beware they will impose a mandatory insurance rate. Normally double the rental car rates, you can NOT waive this like we do in the States (learned the hard way). So basically, your $20 a day rate for your 4day weekend that you got from the internet (Hotwire/Orbitz/Expedia, etcc..) will come out to over $300. What a nightmare if you budgeted your trip to include a car rental. Especially, if you already prepaid the rental on one of those travel sites.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Liberia Airport Beware

It is not the rental car company, it is the government of Costa Rica that "impose" a mandatory insurance on every car in traffic circulation in Costa Rica, being rental or not. Since it is a mandatory, obligatory, ... insurance nobody can waive it. You drive you pay.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Liberia Airport Beware

Thank you for clearing that up. I must've have missed that notice when I clicked bookit on my RSVP.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Liberia Airport Beware

if you pull up the rental agreement Thrifty clearly posts what the manditory rates are. The problem i found when is reserved with them that it was $20 per day. I canceled the reservation and went with Budget which has a $10 per day 3rd party. The listed prices on the internet sites is very mis-leading and they should include the fees. My thought is i still am looking at $115 for the car for the week and another $80 for the insurance. That is still cheaper than a transfer to Papagayo for 2 people and i can come and go as i please.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Liberia Airport Beware

Yes. Your rates will come out to over $200usd with insurance. Plus they will swipe your credit card for a charge of $3000 (depends on what insurance plan you opt to take) and refund it to you when you return the car. Also, unlike the States where small blemishes is not a big deal, It is in CR.

5. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Liberia Airport Beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, December 15, 2013