We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Just wondering what to expect.. bug wise...how bad are the mosquitos.. and are there any scorpions... I will bring bug spray.. but wondering what I might find in the condo that is considered "normal". (coming down in Feb. to Playa des Coco) Thanks!!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Well, there isn't enough space and time to give you a list of "what" to expect, but remember, there's also an army of "good guys" who love to act as nature's little janitors when it comes to bugs. Specifically, yes, there are scorpions here, although I am sure many who post here will tell you that they tend to keep out of our way, and should you ever be stung, it's the equivalent of a wasp sting, so a surprise?..yes. If you need an epi pen, it should come along. You will after a few days get quite used to seeing things on the wall or near the door, shake out your shoes will become a habit, and the geckoes, lizards, and iguanas will be around to help rid your place of them. I live here, and bugs have just become part of life, spray tends to kill the good and the not so good, so use sparingly. Mosquitoes are surprisingly not a big deal either until you get into the trees and rain forests, but day to day, just have a light pair of pants if you plan to stay out at night, and a little green repellent or some Avon Skin so Soft that works well too. Have a great holiday.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Thanks so much for your reply...it has really helped. As long as I don't bring home any uninvited guests ..things will be fine. :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Please do not worry...my country with well over the 4.5 % earth biodiversity is full of small creatures...some incredible nice looking some not as good looking but incredible...

For us natives we growed up among those creatures...and honestly they are great...in my case mosquitoes love me...I use OFF and they hate me...and regarding Scorpions...very rarely we see one...not big deal...

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Cajon covered it all really well, but I would add that you should always look before you put your hand onto a branch or rock when you are out and about in the forest. That way you can avoid disturbing a biting ant or worse!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Don't worry. It is not a big issue.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: re: Bugs - Scorpions?

Just another thing... February is not the worst time for mosquitos or any other types of bugs... They are definitely around, but many of the wonderful species of bugs that you might see on the discovery channel undergo their lifecycles when we start getting rain, not so much in the middle of the dry season. At any rate, manage your expectations and you will be fine! Oh, and another thing.... Please try to refrain from complaints about ants... If you do your reading on Trip Advisor, one of the most common complaints in almost every here in Costa Rica is ants. The thing is that ants are not necessarily a property problem but rather a tenant problem. If you leave any type of sugary food out for anything more than a few hours, you are very likely to get a small infestation of what we like to call sugar ants.... Its almost magic how they seem to be able to find their way into even the nicest five star resorts, so be careful and try to take them with a grain of salt!!!

7. Re: re: Bugs - Scorpions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 14, 2013