We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

My husband and I have won airfare to Liberia, which we are hoping to use in April of this year.

Our prize package also includes an allowance for accommodation, so we get to pick where we stay (mid-range) and any tours we might like.

The travel agent recommended Allegro Papagayo and Barcelo Playa Langosta as two options. I think we'd like to be as close to the beach as possible, wouldn't we?

Any recommendations?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

If you can afford the upgrade--chose Grand Papagayo over the Allegro--do yourself a favor!! Allegro has some major drawbacks--not a bad place at all but way different! if you want AI.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

Personally, I would skip the all inclusives. My favorite in that region is the Samara Treehouse Inn in Samara. You can't get any more on the beach than that place, although it may be sold out for April by now. Congrats on winning the airfare. How did you win it?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

these are 2 totally different types of accommodations

if they want an AI, even tho the Tree House looks pretty decent, way different from Papa Grand. You're talking local character vs luxury--meals and bev vs pay your own. I guess something for everyone.

I expected actual tree houses, but the little resort looks very rustic and charming.

Are you renting a car CanadaMama? How long is your stay??

Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

Our prize covers six nights/seven days, and the travel agent assigned to book the prize package for us seems open to suggestions, though I presume she is working within a budget.

We've done beachfront stilt-shacks in Thailand, so are certainly open to that kind of thing; this being our first vacation without kids, however (in 6 years!), I also wouldn't mind a bit of comfort.

In my mind, we might spend half our nights at a beachfront place, and then maybe move to someplace with closer access to the rainforest/volcano opportunities?

Would anyone else do it that way, or would you just stay put in one place for the relaxation factor?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

what a great prize--awesome!! we did Thailand, too but in a "yenlike" lux resort in Hua Hin.

you'll get lots of suggestions now! Good luck making the decisions!

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

If you want to chose from the two your agent suggested, I would choose Playa Langosta. There is a lot of variety of beaches nearby and Langosta is a very beautiful beach community. It is adjacent to Tamarindo which has a lot to offer tourists.

Also, if you are considering other beaches, I suggest Playa Junquillal. About an hour and half ride from Liberia.

www.nicoyapeninsula.com/junquillal/index.html

And www.iguanazul.com hotel is very good mid range accommodations, with wonderful ocean views. Also, they have choice of room, house or condo.

7. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:53 am, March 02, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

Congrats!

An AI like Grand Papagayo or Barcelo

would be your best value because meals/drinks

would be covered but check mixed TA reviews

especially on Allegro recent sewer problems

supposedly fixed now.

www.carrentals.com Rent a car out of LIR

would be wise for freedom flexibility.

Non AI www.hotelcapitansuizo.com Tamarindo

my fav in that area...

Have fun,

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

might also visit

www.arenal.net for a couple of days

www.lostiguanaresort.com

my fav in that area...

10. Re: Won airfare to LIberia - where to from there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 06, 2009