We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

Really need help deciding.

No car.

Only there 2 nights.(1/12 days) .

Cost not a factor.

Any info on their restaurants?

Tentative itinerary:

evening arrival,dinner, unwind

day 1:AM zip/canopy tour/

PM dinner hot springs

day 2: :AM Hanging Bridges

afternoon depart

Any recommendations for stop from Liberia to Arenal for lunch?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
948 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

They are both nice, both have good views.

Kioro is higher up on the volcano, and therefore you get a better view of the eruption... it just feels closer.

Kioro is newer, restaurant has great views and about the best food around (other than breakfast at Tobacon Hotel).

Both places are a little difficult without a car. But just about any hotel in Arenal is a pain without a car except probably Tobacon Resort because there is so much to see/visit that is at/near Tobacon. Suppose Kioro would be easier to get a cab out of (to go to the canopy, etc) than Lost Iguana.

People are just too hesitant about driving in C.R. Taking a shuttle can be a pain because they're not SUVs so it takes forever to get places on their horrible roads. With an SUV, you can make much better time getting around.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
948 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

They are both nice, both have good views.

Kioro is higher up on the volcano, and therefore you get a better view of the eruption... it just feels closer.

Kioro is newer, restaurant has great views and about the best food around (other than breakfast at Tobacon Hotel).

Both places are a little difficult without a car. But just about any hotel in Arenal is a pain without a car except probably Tobacon Resort because there is so much to see/visit that is at/near Tobacon. Suppose Kioro would be easier to get a cab out of (to go to the canopy, etc) than Lost Iguana.

People are just too hesitant about driving in C.R. Taking a shuttle can be a pain because they're not SUVs so it takes forever to get places on their horrible roads. With an SUV, you can make much better time getting around.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

I haven't been to either of these but Kioro is closer to the volcano and the hot springs, and their long drive starts from the main road right around El Novella restaurant, which is great for dinner. Hanging Bridges place is next to Lost Iguana.

Have you read the reviews for both here on Tripadvisor? Just enter the hotel name into the Search.

We stopped for lunch at Restaurante Lajas - good food and service, across the road from the lake, in Nuevo Arenal area. It's about 2/3 of the way from Liberia. Tilaran has some local places to eat. And there were other restaurants along the Northern shore of the lake.

granada hills
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

My wife and I stayed at Lost Iguana for our honeymoon and could not have been happier. I guess that doesn't make your descion any easier. It is definetely outside of town, but that is what I liked about it. You are in the jungle with no hotels or shops around. The room was absolutely awesome. I recommend an upgrade to the suite. Good Luck!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

Made reservations at lost iguana primarily because of remote location and walking proximity to hanging bridges . namaste14 congrads on your honeymoon. if you can answer a few questions would appreciate it. How did you get resrvations at Eco Thermales which you mentioned on another post? ALso are there shuttles or transportation options from LI to there , la fortuna or Tabacon? Restaurants at LI any good? Thanks in advance for response.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

I've read here about construction at Kioro--was under the impression that it's not quite finished. Has anyone been there recently, and if so would you be so kind as to comment on the construction situation at Kioro? Thanks!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

Great decison about Lost Iguana. We stayed there last year and had a wonderful time. The food at LI was very good and reasonably priced. We ate dinner there several nights. Much better food than the buffet at Tabacon Springs. Be sure and ask the front desk at LI for discount tickets for Hanging Bridges which is a short but very steep uphill walk.

Be sure and make it to Tabacon before it gets dark. I know it's less expensive in the evening but you won't be able to appreciate the gorgeous setting and landscaping in the dark. We went rafting on the Arenal River with Desafio Adventures in the morning instead of the zipline tours and loved it. Spent the afternoon at Tabacon and the evening back at Lost Iguana. There's also a spa at LI now that was under construction last year.

We didn't have a car and just had the front desk call cabs for us. Not cheap but worth it for the remote setting at LI. If you take organized tours they will piack you up at the hotel.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

I see you are from Chicago. Me too many moons ago, grew up on the north side.

Anyway....

I love Lost Iguana. The food is IMPROVING but has not been known to be awesome there. I was there in July and food was about a Bminus.

The place is gorgeous, though, and they do have a shuttle to other attractions/town etc. or you can get a taxi.

Not sure anyone answered you about EcoThermal. There is NO SIGN on the road to this place, but Lost Iguana has ties with them and can reserve for you. At this time of year (SEPT) it's not busy there. I LOVE it there, much more laid back and non-touristy. Tabacon is a zoo!

As far as restaurants on the road to Liberia, the litte "sodas" are really good almost anywhere. It's not like Mexico where you have to worry about getting sick from the food. Order a "casado" which means Married, and has rice, beans, a little salad and your choice of chicken, fish (fried), pork or beef. The pork here in CR is wonderful; the beef is not (very tough). Another great dish is Arroz con Pollo. Here they make it a lot like Chinese fried rice with chicken. The meal at a soda will costa you around $3-4. Enjoy.

Too bad you're not flying into San Jose; you could stop at my favorite restaurant over here near San Pablo de Turrubares on your way back from Arenal.

Oh well. Next time....

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

reply is for BrewCrew

2 parties told me about Kioro. Both liked it a lot, but one said rooms were very spread out, far from pool, and so not so great for families. It's a new place, but I did not hear about construction going on there....

10. Re: Lost Iguana or Arenal Kioro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 17, 2009