We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours around La Fortuna

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tours around La Fortuna

Is it true that it's more expensive to book a tour through the hotel vs. booking straight with the tour company? Are there reputable tour companies around La Fortuna that anyone can recommend? I'm interested in:

- zip lining

- biking (not rigorous mountain biking, but something easy to moderate)

- hiking to the waterfall

- arenal volcano tour

- canyoning tour

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

The best you can do...is rent a car once you are in La Fortuna about $35.00 to $50.00 a day and drive yourself to the different locations...is so easy and you will save money...and time!

Some hotels charge a fee to book tours...do it once you are there and direct with the tour operator!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

Thanks. I plan on booking with the tour operator if it's significantly cheaper. Are there any specific tour operators that anyone can recommend?

Arenal Volcano area
Level Contributor
238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

Yes, usually is expensive if you book at the hotel, but in La Fortuna there are many offices to book all the tour with the best tour operator for each activity with special rate.

4. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, June 15, 2009
Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

I just came back from Lafortuna. Do not use the tour company lavaland tours. After returning to the USA the owner of the company JUlio Porras used my credit card to remove 1,000 dollars from 2 separate accounts. He seems charming, but is a con artist.

6. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:01 am, September 13, 2009
Chicago
Level Contributor
154 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

For canyoning, I highly recommend Pure Trek. For the volcano tour, I booked the day off, downtown and the Jacamar office and it was $40 per person instead of the $50 they advertise on the Web site.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

If you rent a car you can drive yourself to La Fortuna waterfalls-no tour/guide needed and also to Sky tram/sky trek-no tour needed for this activity either. We used Sunset tours for our volcano hike+Tabacon hot springs and dinner but could also easily drive yourself to the hot springs and save money. With the saved money from not paying for tours could splurge on really nice dinner or pricey activity. We didn't do any biking or canyon trekking so can't advise. Lots of people also recommend Desafio Tours which are located in La Fortuna.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
159 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

thanks so much for all the tips! really appreciate it! i can't wait for my vacation!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours around La Fortuna

Sunset Tours is a great tour company. We booked Cano Negro with them and loved it. Also hired one of their guides for a private day of birding and animal spotting. We used Rios Tropicales for rafting. I'd book ziplines with Sky Trek. We took a cab to the waterfall and did it ourselves. There's a neat little place to swim if you take the stairs off to the left. The water was beautiful and crystal clear.