We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

I am planning to drive from La Fortuna to San Jose. I don't believe there is GPS coveragein this area. The last time I did this trip I had a driver. Does anyone know anything about the roads, signs, travel time, good maps, etc?

Thanmks

XR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

The GPS coverage is excellent...I drive very often to OSA area...in middle of nowhere my GPS works...

I drive with passengers about 3 times a week to La Fortuna...the best "co-pilot" during foggy days or nights I can see the curves coming to my right or my left...

Roads in perfect shape...just slow down by San Lorenzo cloud forest two "ugly dangerous" spots there...

Signs...not to many...but enough, take the road from Alamo rent a car toward La Fortuna waterfall...and keep going...all the way to San Ramon...Pan Am Hwy toward San Jose...

Travel time...close to 3 hours...even less...

The ICT gives a nice road map...FREE!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

Thanks for the pointers. Forgive my ignorance - but what is the ICT. By the way I have the Garmin Nuvi GPS - I don't see where I can download a Central American map to it. WHich device do you use?

Thanks again.

XR

A nice place
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

The ICT is the Costa Rican Tourism Board. You can buy a GPS map for Costa Rica from Navsat online.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

I drove from San Jose to La Fortuna and thought it was a pretty smooth drive. We didn't have a gps and I didn't feel that I needed one. The roads are well marked and well paved all the way.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

I got lost beyond belief during this drive last fall. There are several different routes you can take, and the one we chose was washed out by a landslide at one point, so we had to turn around and backtrack, then try to find another route. Not too many road signs, so we had to stop a few times and get directions... with mixed results. We made it to San Jose fine, but it took us about 5 hours and there were several points during our drive where we had no idea if we were headed the right direction or not.

GPS would've been helpful, but probably wouldn't have made much of a difference in our travel time. (GPS wouldn't have alerted us to the road being closed)

It was still a fun trip though, and wound up being one of those things that made Costa Rica even more memorable.

Gaithersburg, MD
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

You'll only do a few actual turns, but the road winds and turns a lot in the countryside and it was nice to see them on the GPS, along with warnings for sunken roads and bridges (1-lane). You could do without, but it was worth it to use the rental company's unit. Never had trouble acquiring satellites either.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

The road between San Jose and La Fortuna is so winding, we thought it was funny sometimes... the GPS could not quite "keep up" with the direction the car was pointing, so it looked like we were perpendicular to the road on the little screen!

GPS works great there, though. It even warned us when there was a speed bump coming up. Whoever told you there is no GPS coverage does not understand how satellites work, I think! LOL

If you're there 10 days or less, you can rent the GPS map from Navsat. Do a search and you'll find out how. Even if you plan to return to Costa Rica in the semi-distant future, I would still rent the map, since I would bet the roads change all the time.

8. Re: GPS - La Fortuna to San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, November 30, 2009