We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tours in Arenal

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best Tours in Arenal

My husband and I are travelling to Costa Rica for 10 days... we are going to spend 4 nights at La Pradera near Arenal and 6 nights in Puerto Viejo. We are going between Christmas & New Years... so it will be crowded and we want to try and book as much as possible ahead of time...

So here's my question - what are the best things to do - and should we just sign up for tours through our hotel - or are some tours better than others?? here's what we're considering.... we'd love some advice:

-Volcano Tour

-Cano Negro

-La Fortuna waterfall tour

-Rio Celeste tour

-Arenal canopy tour (should we do a canopy tour in Puerto Viejo instead?)

-rafting (what river would be the best for beginners? should we save this for Puerto Viejo?)

We would really appreciate your advice!!

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

Cano Negro is an interesting tour. Lots of wildlife to be seen. That time of year it will be full of migrating birds.

La Fortuna waterfall tour A pretty steep hike down and back up but a very pretty waterfall. There is a pool of water to swim in.

Canopy tour....have you looked at sky trek/sky tram? Beautiful views. Arenal Paraiso also has a very pretty canopy tour.

Rafting....the Rio Sarapiqui does have a section for beginners. It is also a good place to see wildlife.

I don't know much about the Rio Celeste tour.

Volcano tour...it is interesting hiking on the old lava bed but haven't done the "tour".

There are also the Hanging Bridges. Beautiful views of the volcano if the weather cooperates. Easy walking.

If I were going at that time of year I would probably book the rafting, cano negro, and probably the canopy tour ahead of time. You can do it directly with the outfits running the trips.

Desafio is a good company, Sunset Tours, Aguas Bravas for the rafting directly, Sky Trek directly. For places like the Hanging Bridges and the waterfall you could just take a taxi there if you don't have a car and arrange for them to pick you up when you think you will be done. Volcano tour as well.

It has been my experience that the hotels do add a little to the cost of the tour. Sort of a finders fee I guess. If you book directly you can save a little money. If you prefer to do it all through your hotel, I am sure they can arrange most of it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

thank you so much for your suggestions. I am going to look into some of the tour operators that you recommended.

Where exactly are the hanging bridges? Can we access them on our own?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

Wow! My husand and I will be at the La Pradera at the same time and are looking into some of the same tours. Maybe we'll see you around.

Whitby, ON Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

The Hanging Bridges are near the Lake Arenal Dam, about 15 mins. past Tabacon Hot Springs. See www.arenal.net for maps and more info. on tours. Highly recommend the Sty Tram/Sky Trek.

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

definitely do cano negra and la catarata waterfall is only about a 5mins drive from the high street- USD6 entrance.

my favourite springs in la fortuna is eco thermales but tabacon is a good party night out!

…typepad.com/la_fortuna_arenal/…index.html

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

definitely do cano negra and la catarata waterfall is only about a 5mins drive from the high street- USD6 entrance.

my favourite springs in la fortuna is eco thermales but tabacon is a good party night out!

…typepad.com/la_fortuna_arenal/…index.html

Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

Canopy tour....have you looked at sky trek/sky tram. Beautiful views, are best done in Monteverde because there are more forests/higher mountains etc.

Rafting....Yes, the Rio Sarapiqui does have a section for beginners. It is also a good place to see wildlife. We booked right online or you can call. Be sure to get everything in writing. This group is fantastic, very professional, great guides and the Sarapiqui river is suppose to be the cleanest in CR. We did this last year for Xmas. They'll pick you up from hotel and it includes lunch--for about $65 per person. Really worth the money! Here's the link: http://www.rancholeona.com/rafting.htm

A suggestion: In Arenal, it would be very romantic to do an evening of the Tabacon Hot Springs at the Tabacon Resort. The is a package of hotsprings pass with dinner--better food than anywhere else in CR.

It's also a great way to soak away your muscle pains from all of the active sightseeing/day trips.

As for volcano tours, you can hire a taxi, your hotel can arrange for under $30, and they'll take you up to as close as allowable to view Arenal, if its a clear night.

Have a great time!

8. Re: Best Tours in Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, August 17, 2009