We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal area in 3 or 4 days

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal area in 3 or 4 days

Hello all,

I'd like to see the area...on budget. Can anyone tell me the things to make sure I experience, how many nights I need, places (clean & safe a must)? I would be fine with staying at two different places, towns, hotels.

Thanks in advance!

On the road
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal area in 3 or 4 days

Hi Zzigs,

Welcome to the forum and Pura Vida!

I am trying to get this message to all new users of this forum (so dont take it personally) - "search first" -- Plug in "arenal" into the seach box at the top of the forum and then it the blue go button. There is tons of info on this topic.

In any case, here are my favorite cheap things to do in Arenal:

3 nights should be good - all the cheap(er) hotels are located in town and away from the volcano. Check out the b&b and other lodging tabs on TA for Arenal.

Tours are great but add up fast - I recommend the horseback and zip lines at Arenal Paraiso - around 45 bucks for each.

Definitely head to the arenal river waterfall - only 6 bucks and it is one of the best in CR. (to get there take a left at the Alamo Car rental when facing the volcano and then go straight - there will be signs)

For dinning - hit up Novillo. Roadside steakout with great views of the lava - it is on the way to Tabacon Springs (on the right side of the road)

OK - enjoy!

On the road
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal area in 3 or 4 days

Opps - i guess plugging in "arenal" into the search box for the arenal forum is not such a great idea (although it would work OK on the main CR forum)

I would just read up on the hotel reviews (can sort by price) and then read the arenal forum to narrow down your options.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal area in 3 or 4 days

One of the coolest things we did in La Fortuna last month was just spend 20 mins at the crocodile refuge there (Valle Crocodrilo). Admission was something like 3$ and we got a personal one on one guided tour around the yard to see probably 20 different crocodiles, my husband even got to hold a baby caymen.. It was an awesome way to kill some quick time before our tour and was definately different than any 'zoo' or 'refuge' I've seen before... PS if you go considering throwing them an extra bit of cash as the government does not support them and he pays for everything out of his pocket.

(To get there go West on Av Central (main stretch through town), past the church square and then turn right after 4 or 5 at the home made sign).

4. Re: Arenal area in 3 or 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...