We are coming to Costa Rica from Dec17-25th, so excited!!! 4 nights at Nayara and 4 nights at Riu Palace (sorry regulars on the forum, we are starwood members but Westin didn't have availability for our dates). Booked Morphovans for private transfers to and from Liberia airport and between hotels. So that leaves 3 days in each place for activities.
Our kids are 11 and 7 and hubby wants to relax on the trip. So here is a my tentative plan for excursions:
Arenal: Ecoglide Zipline, Safari float on Penas Blancas (really wanted to do Rafting but Desafio has minimum age requirement of 10), La Fortuna Waterfall, Hot Springs. If we have time and energy, may go horse back riding and kayaking/tubing at Club Rio.
Guanacaste: Would love to have kids take surfing lessons and may be some activities in Rincon De La Vieja. If we didn't get to do horseback riding in Arenal, we HAVE to do that here :).
My questions are:
1. Is there a place you suggest to stock up on fruits, snacks and drinks on the way from Liberia to Arenal?
2. Do we need advance reservations for ziplining and safari float or can we book them when we get there for Dec 18-20?
3. Hubby doesn't like heights but wants to try ziplining this time. Kids and I went ziplining before so know what to expect. Is there any other zipline that would be good for first timers or is Ecoglide our best bet? I liked the idea of a second line there and the minimum age is 5 or 6.
4. Can we just take a cab to La Fortuna waterfalls and do it our self? I saw horseback tours but it didn't make sense leaving the horse and hiking down. I figured we may as well do it separately.
5. Are there any rapelling tours that are kid friendly at either locations? Does Desafio have an office close to Nayara?
6. Is there a coffee plantation that's close to either one of our hotels or on the way? I will be the only one interested in it, so a trip that's short & sweet and that lets me pick up some costa rican coffee to bring back home would be great.
7. What place would you suggest for beginners surf lessons for the kids? If it's Tamarindo, do you suggest a specific outfitter? If there is a tour that could take us on a boat from the hotel for surfing lessons, that would be ideal as the kids may be tired of the driving distances by then.
8. Thinking of doing the day pass at Guachepilin, should I pre-book or can we do it when we get there?
Thank you very much for your time and all your suggestions. I really appreciate all the information posted by regulars on the forum.