We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

Hello, I will be staying at El Silencio hotel next week and wondering if Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall are possible to do in one day (coming back before sundown). If so please advise on the following:

1) We wont have a car, which should be done first to save money on taxi fare?

2) Will taxis be waiting at both places to drive us back to our hotel, are they fair and reliable?

3) Other than potentially missing some wildlife, are there any other concerns with doing these two alone?

4) Will I be cold after swimming in the falls? Can I just dry off in my clothes or should I bring a change?

5) Any places to eat around the two areas?

Thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

IMO I think you can pull it off. I would hit the hanging bridges as early morning as possible, have lunch in town, then hit the falls.

Not sure if doing one or the other first will save on taxi at all. Ask whoever is doing the hanging bridges if they include transfer get dropped off in town.

Taxis may not be waiting but they are a phone call away. Should not be hard to arrange at all.

Not sure I understand the question of missing wildlife

You can't swim at the actual falls anymore, they no longer allow this. BUT you can swim near by at El Salto swimming hole. IMO bring a change of clothes.

I would hit town for lunch. Not sure which bridges you are doing, I think there are 2 in the area. More will chime in soon, La Fortuna is not my area per say sit tight for a better answer.

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

Thanks! one more thing about taxis, I read that " only legal taxis are RED with a yellow triangle on the side. In rural areas, you won't often find "official" legal taxis and here it is OK just to use a local taxi to get around." What will the taxis be like in the Arenal area?

My wildlife question: I read that many ppl do a tour so the guide can point out wildlife. If we do the tour ourselves, we may miss some of the wildlife, but is there anything else we should be concerned with?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

gotcha, having a guide increases what you will see 100 fold in my opinion. They can spot things that the average human will miss. IMO guides on nature hikes are well worth it. I am a nature freak, but I still go for a guide to get the most out of the experience as I can.

Official taxis are red in color with yellow triangles, you can't miss them. I never really use pirate taxis. There are plenty of official taxis in Arenal. In a pinch the pirates work fine but the vehicles just are not as nice.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

A guide is 100% worth every penny. The Arenal Hanging Bridges has thick foliage so seeing animals can actually be quite difficult. If you hire a guide (look up Giovanni here on TA forum) and he will take care of the transportation. Go to Arenal Hanging Bridges and then get dropped off at the Rio Fortuna Waterfall. The waterfall will be cold but you have to go up about 500 steps so you won't be cold very quickly! There is a bathroom/changing room at the top so you can change there. You can either ask them to call a taxi for you or walk back to town (all down hill)! FYI there are not taxis waiting at either location but the people who work there will always be happy to call one for you. As for "pirate taxis" vs. regular taxis, they will many times give you the same price (since you're a gringo) so just go with the regular taxis. ENJOY!

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

I had stayed at El Silencio. Just ask at the reception desk to call for a taxi for you. The waterfall is about 10 mins away. Ask the driver if he has a card or for his phone number so you can call him/her when you need a pick up from the fall.

Don't miss the breakfast at El Silencio. Delicious! There are a few sodas in town that have really good food too. Just ask the ladies at the front desk or the taxi drivers.

6. Re: Hanging Brides and La Fortuna Waterfall in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 17, 2014