We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Folks,

The wife and I are super super excited about our 10d trip beginning tomorrow morning. Now, onto the question: Is your packing below OK?

I checked the weather for the next 4 nights at Arenal and there is a storm warning this Sat ~ We have Rio Celeste planned for this Sat. Overall supposed to be 90's.

Drake Bay weather from 4/30 ~ 5/5 suggest rain and storm warning daily. It is supposed to 80s though out. I have been told that this is normal there.

Me:

8-10 t shirts

2 cargos horts

2 cargo trousers

3 swin trunks

1 Fleece Jacket

Wife:

10-12 t shirts

3 long pants

2 linen trousers

3 swim clothing

1 fleece Jacket

Now onto our itinerary:

4/26: Fly into SJO. Private Taxi to El Silencio Del Campo, AVP

4/27: Rio Celeste

4/28: Cerro Chato

4/29: Cano Negro

4/30: Fly into Drake Bay

5/1: San Pedrillo Ranger Station Hike

5/2: Mangrove

5/3: Cano Island

5/4: Relax

5/5: Fly into San Jose

5/6: Fly into Newark

Is our packing OK? Need to add/remove anything?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Cano Negro
Cano Negro
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

A lot of good recommendations above. Here is a link to a site with a comprehensive packing list: costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php…

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't spend too much time figuring out what to pack. You have the right idea. Keep in mind that anything you need, you can buy here. Just weigh that against adding weight and bulk to your luggage. (One lady decided she was going to pack an extra suitcase with bottles of water on her next trip to Costa Rica. Huh?)

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Got it. Will leave it at home in that case. Thanks.

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

I was under the impression that La Fortuna is a small place. I suppose I can find essentials that we might need in Fortuna. Also, we will be staying at Drake Bay Wilderness Resort and our package includes laundry service. So, the wife and I took out a few things from the list (Fleece is gone). We will get our Arenal clothes laundered in DBWR.

Thanks, Hattie.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Well, La Fortuna is a small place by many standards, but there are four supermarkets. More information here: www.arenal.net as well as a map of La Fortuna. Really, there's just about everything you need.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

You'll even find a lot of American brands in some of the grocery stores - Coke, Minute Maid, American cereal brands, yogurt, and chips. I do throw a box of granola bars in our luggage though because we don't always want to head to the grocery store after a long day of travel and hotels can gouge you on the price of breakfast. You might have room now that you removed the fleece!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

If you buy "American" brands of various things, you will pretty much always pay more for them. I would say that everything you will need to buy, you can buy a brand that is made in Costa Rica. Of course, some "American" brands are just that - but made in Costa Rica.

Coming to Arenal from the airport, there is plenty of opportunity to pick up some snacks or even have a meal before you check into your hotel. I usually carry a couple of things to eat on the flight, but that's it.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

My husband was amused to find Zucaritas that look exactly like Frosted Flakes and have Tony the Tiger on the front. Unfortunately we've exported a lot of our junk to CR!

19. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 28, 2014