We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
98 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge

We are a couple who have only two days and one night in La Fortuna. I have seen very few comments about this place and we are trying to evaluate whether we should try to squeeze this trip in at the sacrifice of other things in the area such as Tabacon, hanging bridges, horse trip to Monteverde, Baldi Termae hot springs, volcano hike, nature tours, sky walk, canopy tour. We will be doing a canopy tour in the Guanacaste region. Can anyone help us prioritize?

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge

It will eat up a good bit of the day. Just depends on what you want to see and do. If you are really into sitting in a boat to look at wildlife do it. Otherwise, all of those other experiences at Arenal are well worth seeing and doing. I would probably skip it unless you are really into the wildlife.

The horse trip up to Monteverde is only for people going up to Monteverde to stay. Not a day trip at all.

Hanging Bridges is a nice walk. Sky Trek Canopy tour either by zip or tram is neat. It will be different than the Guanacaste area because the Guanacaste area is a very different type of place. The hike to the waterfall is fun, hiking on the old lava bed too. Of course the biggie is sitting in the hot thermal pools. Baldi is recently renovated so I can't say how they are. Sounds nice. There is also the Hidalgo family place EcoTermales. A quiet place where there is a limit on how many people can go in at a time. Tabacon is quite colorful and lit up at night and has a swim up bar with a water slide as well as the hot pools.

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now