We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabacon Resort.. Do the rooms view the lava flow?

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tabacon Resort.. Do the rooms view the lava flow?

Hi, I'm staying at the Tabacon Resort in March '06. I paid for an expensive superior suite that is said to have a view of the volcano. I just saw www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm, it appears that the lava flow may not be seen from the Tabacon Resort.

Is this true? Did I just get jipped? Where are the best views to drive in the evening(from the Tabacon Resort)?

Thanks!

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tabacon Resort.. Do the rooms view the lava flow?

You can see the volcano but I would not guarantee that you will see lava. I think you might be able to view it from the Tabacon spa too (200m away). It is often cloudy so the top of the volcano is not visible. As the pyroclastic flow consists of ash as well as lava, this often clouds up and obscures the lava that is beneath. We stayed at the Tabacon and the best view of the volcano was from the bridge on the way there.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tabacon Resort.. Do the rooms view the lava flow?

"from the bridge on the way there' describes the location of the Lost Iguana, but the resort is higher than the bridge across the dam and has even a better view.. We had a deluxe king suite with great views every night of the volcano. The clouds lifted after 10 or 11 pm, and the 'flow' was easily visible (thought difficult to photograph). The hotel is off the beaten path, and the restaurant leaves a lot to be desired, but the accommodations are very nice for the area and the views incredible, especially from our private balcony hot tub :)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tabacon Resort.. Do the rooms view the lava flow?

Just returned from Costa Rica (2/11 - 2/21-06). We stayed at the Hotel Linda Vista ($110 for the junior suite) from the porch you could see Lake Arenal and the Volcano. If it is not cloudy you could see the lava flow from your room. They have a nice cozy restaurant that has a great view too. The food is excellent... We were there for Valentine's Day and couldn't have been in a more romantic setting...

I was fortunate to become friends with Natalia Morales (she does the internet booking for the hotel) and she and her husband took us to a private hot springs in the area that was BEAUTIFUL!!! Very quiet, secluded and NICE!!! I recommend this to the quantity of hot springs at Tobacon (its a nice hotel too.)

Natalia and her husband (Fabio Molina) just purchased there own van and provide private transportation around Costa Rica. I highly recommend this route... Because Fabio knows the roads so well we were able to do things in the afternoon (with no tourists around) like white water rafting (the raft just included me, my boyfriend, Fabio and the river guides...), and the canopy tour in Arenal (tram up/Tarzan and Jane down...). Not scary driving at night with someone who knows what they are doing and Fabio is so accommodating and sweet... (He also used to be a nature guide and was able to show us flora and fauna along the way along with other night critters... from the comfort of the van...)

Natalia can be reached at: info@hotellindavista.com and Fabio can be reached at: fmolina@gunacasteexpeditions.com. Tell them "Frances and the loco gringo (Alan) sent you"...

Pura Vida!

Frances