We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

We are considering a trip to Costa Rica in June or July '14. I'd like a nice hotel with some amenities, a boutique property with a pool would be first choice, but a big resort is ok too if it's nice and on a good beach for surfing. Good restaurants on site and nearby, as well as a small market for some supplies would be great too.

My husband is an experienced surfer so I'm not interested in any of the surf camps that I've seen online, but he does need a good surf shop close by to rent a board. I've talked him out of lugging his own around.

Capitan Suizo looks interesting, any thoughts on that property? Thank you.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

You should look at two areas: Uvita and Santa Teresa. Both have good surfing (Santa Teresa more so) and excellent small boutique properties. Santa Teresa is more surfing while Uvita is nicer and has more upscale restaurants around. Both will require renting a sturdy 4x4 vehicle.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
739 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

Capitan Suizo would be an excellent choice if you choose Tamarindo as your destination. A larger, beachfront hotel (closer to surf) would be the hotel Dira. A couple of blocks to the beach there is Hotel Pasatiempo. There are also lots and lots of condos for rent and many shops, variety stores, restaurants etc.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

Tamarindo would work for you. Plan on flying into LIR Liberia since SJO San Jose is 5 hours away.

You can also head to the small nearby beach towns of Playa Avellenas and Playa Negra for some "advanced" surfing. Surfing movies have been made there......

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
328 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

You can also look for Dominical, a small surfer's village.

It is near, about 10 minutes, from Uvita. Also, 30 minutes from Manuel Antonio if you want to visit.

I did learn to surf in Dominical. Big waves!!! Believe me.

But there are also great surf schools.

You can also rent a board in Dominical and drive down a little bit to surf in any of the many beaches around like Dominicalito, Hermosa, Ventana, etc.

You can compare prices and hotels in Dominical here: southerncostarica.biz/Dominical/cat-hotels/

or choose the location you want. It is the reference in southern Costa Rica.

Enjoy!

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

Thank you for all the great advice.

Since this is our first trip, I'm not that into driving on our own, since I don't know what to expect. I had been looking at Latin Destinations but is there a better company out there? I don't want to do a tour, but I'd love to have one company that I set up all the logistics of getting around with.

We'd also like to spend a couple days at Arenal as well.

Thanks again.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

There are quite a few companies that can help you plan out an itinerary, book your hotels and transport for you. Just a couple that are recommended often here: Anywhere Costa Rica, Xplore Costa Rica or CR Referrals. All of these are actually located in Costa Rica and any of them will do a great job for you.

That being said - it's not that hard to do it yourself.

1. Pick your destinations -- rule of thumb is 2 locations for a week's stay

2. Pick your lodging and book it. Use Trip Advisor reviews to help you and also search this forum.

3. Book transportation. You can book a private driver or shuttle for your transportation and then use local taxis.

Done! No need to book excursions or tours ahead of time - you can do that through your lodging, online or in some areas (such as La Fortuna) just by walking around.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

You should also consider Nosara. The most consistant surf around. The Harmony Hotel is great. There are lots of ways to get around. Tucan Limos is good, as is Jacamar Transfers and Tours.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

Capitan suizo is nice well known and a flag ship in Tamarindo, close to Langosta , close to small and large stores.

if you want a little more quiet check anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…hotels

set aside a day for a trip to Rincon de la Vieja National Park at Las Pailas, lots of volcanic activity, waterfalls, hot springs, lush tropical forest , a good chance to observe wild life.

9. Re: 1st trip to Costa Rica. Nice hotel on a surfing beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Province of Guanacaste