We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

Montreal, QC, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

I'm wondering if we should book 2 or 3 nights at the Hacienda Guachipelin. The first day we plan to do the Las Pailas trail and also trails to the nearby waterfalls. Second day will plan to do their "One-day Adventure Pass" (canyon canopy, horseback riding, river tubing and hot springs). And if we decide to stay a third day... are there any other nearby attractions that you suggest we do (we have a rental SUV 4X4)?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

I would say just the 2 but others may chime in and say otherwise...the adventure pass ticket is awsome...have written a review if you take a look at my page...any qs just ask.

Happy Travels

KCC

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

I also think two nights would be good. Of course, you could stay three nights - there's always something to do in that area.

This is a really good write-up about Rincon de la Vieja - the Las Pailas sector, which is near Guachipelin. acguanacaste.ac.cr/1997/…pailas_turing.html

So in addition to the great activities at Guachipelin, you could spend some additional time in the National Park.

Montreal, QC, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

KCC, i just read your review on the adventure day in Hacienda Guachipelin, looks like so much fun!!! I don't think I will rapel headfirst tough! :-)

Hattie, I tried the link you mentionned but I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

I'm actually wondering what to do on our last day in Guanacaste. Here's our plan so far...

Day 1 to 4: Hotel Sol Papagayo, from there we plan to do:

- Some hiking in the Santa Rosa National Park

- Boat trip on the Rio Rempisque

- Relax on the beach

Day 5 and 6: Hacienda Guachipelin

- Las Pailas trail

- Adventure Pass (canopy, river tubing...)

Day 7: ??? where to stay, what should we do?

Day 8: Flight back home

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

Lily-Norm: Try this one: www.acguanacaste.ac.cr/1997/principaling.html Look in the lefthand column and click on "Visit the ACG." Then, you can click on the various parts of the Guanacaste Conservation Area which includes several National Parks. You can then click on "Pailas" for extensive information.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

For just one night, you could visit Playas del Coco or Playa Hermosa and either of these would be a good location for your last night because they are about 30 minutes from the LIR airport.

Enjoy the beach, swim, snorkel, boat trips, sunset boat trip, fishing, etc. Either of these are about 1.5 hours from Guachipelin so an easy travel day.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

Agree with Hattie or another alternative would be to head to Tamarindo...surf/ beach town lots of diff accomodation to be had ....do a sunset cruise,surf,walk along the headland there to Playa Langosta . Plenty of restos all different varieties and prices....some overlooking the beach.....fab-u-lous sunsets.

But most of all because you have a rental car....take a short drive over to Playa Avellenas ....a wild beach ....watch the local surfers take on the waves/breaks.There is only one resto called Lola's (named after the pig who resides behind it).Closed on Mondays. You can walk for miles.....no hotels,condos or buildings of any sorts....just pure nature at its best....totally unspoilt.

Would return in a heartbeat to this area.

KCC

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

Playa Avellenas is a very special place -- just as you describe kathy..just pure nature at its best.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

Hi Hattie

I always struggle with myself whether to post about this lovely special place in the fear it will get too popular....I hope they never ever develop the land behind it. To drive down that little road and then the beach/sea reveals itself to you....took my breath away...will never ever forget it. The spray was rising off the rollers as they crashed onto the beach.....we were the only family there for the whole day except for the local surfers....pure bliss.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

I know what you mean, kathy! I know of several "secret" places like that. Sadly, developers seem to be able to find them. Keep your fingers crossed.

Montreal, QC, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hacienda Guachipelin... 2 or 3 days???

We will be going to Playa Coco during our first 4 days at Hotel Sol Papagayo, so I don't want to return to this sector for the last day. We were not planing to go back to the coast but Playa Avellanas sounds lovely!

If we decide to spent the last night in a hotel or lodge near Playa Avellanas, then what would be the driving time to go back to LIR from this area?