We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best of Guanacaste???

Vancouver
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
The best of Guanacaste???

My husband and I are planning a short trip to Costa Rica at the end of November - we'll have 11 full days. We've decided to focus our travels on Guanacaste, as this will be the driest region at this time of year. We will be flying in and out of Liberia, and given our limited time, we'd like to spend our time in 3 or 4 places, for 2 or 3 days each.

Our travel style is independent/backpacker - we travel by public transportation (or private transfer, if we're pinched for time), love local food and experiences, and like getting off the beaten track. We love active vacations (lots of hiking) and are wowed by natural beauty. All inclusive resorts and packaged soft adventure activities such as zip lining are not for us. Sitting poolside or at a beach for more than half a day would bore me to death. Also, having travelled fairly extensively, I find it takes quite a bit to wow me now. With this in mind, I'm hoping other travellers might have some suggestions for us. What AMAZING things did you experience in Guanacaste that we shouldn't miss out on?

Very tentatively, we are thinking:

- A couple days on the coast, so we can see leatherback turtles and snorkel (possibly Las Baulas near Tamarindo?)

- A couple days where we can get in some longer hikes and check out some volcanoes (maybe Rincón de la Vieja National Park?)

- Somewhere we can check out birds and wildlife, maybe staying at a research station.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best of Guanacaste???

A good bet for staying at a research station and experiencing wildlife is Palo Verde NP. Its not far from Liberia and would make a good first stop before heading to Rincon de la Vieja and then the coast. I think you can book accommodations in the dormitory through OTS http://www.ots.ac.cr/

You might want to consider hiking Santa Rosa NP in the north. You might have better luck with the Olive Ridley's there than the Leatherbacks in Playa Grande. Definitely a wilder part of Guanacaste.

Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Playa Grande
Playa Grande
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best of Guanacaste???

You are correct some nice long hikes around Rincon de la Vieja Volcano...check Hotel HAcienda Guachipelin!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Hacienda Guachipelin
Hacienda Guachipelin
1,505 Reviews
Rincon de La Vieja, Costa Rica
Vancouver
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best of Guanacaste???

Thanks for the suggestions!

We'll be staying in Tamarindo for a few days, then Hacienda Guachepelin, then to the La Cruz / Santa Rosa area. We'll squeeze in a visit to Palo Verde, but just as a day trip. We looked into staying at the research station and thought it wasn't very good value.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
La Cruz
La Cruz
4. Re: The best of Guanacaste???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, December 15, 2013