We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

Hi all. I am looking to travel with 10-12 of my best friends (females in our early 30s) to Costa Rica in February. We are just now doing our preliminary research.

We're looking for an area with great beaches, a few fun inexpensive restaurants, lots of natural beauty and jungle and eco-tourism, without it being TOO touristy. A place with a nice culture and authentic vibe. Also a place where we can rent a house to accommodate all of us that's walking distance to the beach. Do you have any area recommendations? Such as Nosara-- that's one place we think might fit the bill but are looking for other ideas... Thank you so much in advance.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

If you include Nicoya, Montezuma is another option.

Does it need to be Guanacaste? What you describe sounds like a brochure for not only Nicoya, but the South Pacific (Domincal/Uvita area) and the Caribbean side.

Edited: 4:47 pm, August 20, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

In Guanacaste it might be cheaper to rent a house. Check the Flamingo, Samara, Nosara beach areas.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

Guanacaste...nice for you age...Tamarindo but maybe to touristy...according to your post...

Samara or Nosara can be nice as well...

If you fly into SJO you can check also Manuel Antonio National Park area...touristy but nice as well...a lot of places to stay all prices...

roadadvisor..

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

check out vacation rentals on Flipkey and vrbo for suitable properties to rent in the country. Samara and Nosara certainly fit your bill, Montezuma might have a bit more for nightlife though.

Sounds like you're going to have a whale of a time wherever you decide to go!

Maine
Level Contributor
848 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

We loved Manuel Antonio for our crowd. Easy to get around on the local bus -up and down the hill from our villa to the beach. Casa Mira Mar - only 7 bedrooms so might not work but the place looked exactly as presented on line and worked out great for our party that needed 6 bedrooms. lots of great places to eat and drink. Loved Montezuma but didn't stay in a villa there. Much quieter than MA but this was the end of November so might be different other times. Going to Samara this year.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

Tamarindo is a great place but a little touristy. Flamingo is nice but a bit quieter. The next option might be Playa Hermosa.

For rentals in Playa Hermosa or Coco contact http://milagrorentalscostarica.com/

For rentals in Tamarindo Flamingo contact http://bluewaterpropertiesofcostarica.com/

Places for ecotours Palo Verde and Rincon de la Vieja Volcano.

Donegal;PA
Level Contributor
325 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

Loved Playa Hermosa (Guanacaste) area. A few nice little restaurants to choose from and close to Playa del Coco with many options for food. Great tours in the area through Tico Tours (check them out on Trip Advisor). We have rented from both Milagro Rentals and Blue Ridge Properties.Both are very good rental companies with beautiful homes. Our home in Hermosa was high on a hill in a gated safe community called Palo Alto with the most beautiful view, infinity edge pool, and about a 10 minute walk to a very nice clean and peaceful beach area. There is not much nightlife there but you can find lively times in Coco nearby (10 minute Taxi ride)

Tamarindo is much more touristy but an option there is to stay in Langosta. You have e very nice beach area there and a few restaurant options. The nice part is that you can walk to Tanarindo (about 15 minutes) and have you pick of restaurnats, nightlife, and tour companies.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

Well, I guess I'm left vouching for the Tamarindo area... Although we are more "touristy" than, say, Montezuma, the word "touristy" in Costa Rica should be considered highly relative. Personally when I think touristy, I think Cancun or Disneyland, not really Tamarindo.... I mean, Tamarindo is composed of two roads!!!! Yes, we are a larger beach town, but only by Costa Rican standards. If we were a town on the California coast, we would be the smallest beach town in the state (I know because I've driven the entire California coastline). I can't count the number of times that people have told me that they felt like they had to leave certain areas of the coast because they felt too isolated. Now, I'm not saying that we are everyone's cup of tea, but we have a great central location, a beautiful beach, great waves, and a town that is great for walk-about dinner! For the record, I love the rest of the Guanacaste coastline and definitely suggest exploring it as I have, I just want Tamarindo to get a fair representation.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

A lot of the places being mentioned won't fulfill the "jungle" requirement of the OP. Also, keep in mind that in February, a good portion of Guanacaste is pretty brown and dry. Great for beach vacations, not as nice if you're looking for lush foliage.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in the Guanacaste coastal area?

i recomment to rent a house in tamarindo try with RPM

conchal area in reserva conchal

http://www.guanacastevacationhomes.com/

terry and maureen thompsom can hep you they have nice options

in flamingo casa corazon del mar is nice place too