We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beach town should we go to?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
which beach town should we go to?

My friends and I are headed to costa rica at the beginning of march. We are 30ish, female and were planning on going to tamarindo but I have heard how touristy it is and are rethinking that. I have heard how nice Montezuma is. Is this a better option? Or where else would you suggest? We are looking for a pretty beach, decent nightlife but don't want to see chain restaurants. Let me know what suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

Crossfit Surfside
Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms, Coffeehouses
Beach & Pool Crawl
Scuba & Snorkeling, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which beach town should we go to?

Hello CRgirls. I am pretty much in my 30´s, and in your place I would try Tamarindo for 3 days or so, and then I would definitely hit Montezuma for a couple of days and then Malpaís to finish my trip in a much more relaxed environment.

email me if you want to make me some additional questions . . .

take care.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which beach town should we go to?

Greetings Tamarindo!

I would say Tamarindo is not too bad at all, since you can done many diferent things during the day like kayacking long the estuary, surf lessons, sunset cruise (in a catamaran or a traditional schooner sail boat), snorkeling, etc.

I admit it is turistic but all the coastal area is very busy right now until next Easter week.

It may be convinient a town like Tamarindo, because is a enctral point where you can head to many different beaches (most white sand) in one day and you will have grocery store close, night life with different choices.

If you need further information please contact us www.hotelnahua.com ar check traveler reviews on this web site.

Best regards,

Alejandro

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: which beach town should we go to?

My husband and I went to CR last month. (I'm 30 and he's 32)...can't say enough about Mal Pais/St. Theresa or Montezuma. That being said....if you're looking for killer nightlife, they're not for you. We had an awesome time, but we're "bar people" as opposed to "club people." We watched amove a El Sano Banano in Montezuma and hung out at Chico's...watch out for the guaro shots! Had dinner at Mary's in Mal Pais and then hung out at the surf club with a bunch of surfers. They were my favorite two places we visited!

Sherie

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which beach town should we go to?

I should proofread...we watched a movie at El Sano, not amove!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: which beach town should we go to?

Did you go to Tamarindo at all? Montezuma does sound nice and we are leaning in that direction or maybe splitting the trip between the two. We don't need killer nightlife..just a selection of bars to choose from. We're not club people either. Is Montezuma difficult to get to? I keep reading how it's one of the most difficult places to get to.

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: which beach town should we go to?

We didn't go to Tamarindo, so I can't comment. We flew into Tambor on Sansa and rented a car. The roads were certainly rough to Montezuma and Mal Pais, but from there (Tambor) it wasn't difficult per se...just bumpy.