We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

my husband and I will have a week in CR (arriving SJ) on 27th december. we'd like to have some time in an interesting eco tourism, good food, character hotel or inn (as we are arriving in SJ anywhere in Guanacaste /near a beach is presently an option). we'd like some luxury for new years eve (but not necessarily posh hotel which we both stay in for work). But interesting, chilled is far more important. Help.........

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,238 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

Guanacaste is kind of a hike from SJ. The central pacific region is far closer. With a whole week I would suggest a couple of days at Arenal. Thermal Springs and one of the top 20 most active volcanoes in the world. contact www.crreferrals.com for hotel discounts and current conditions.

In Arenal you have different options for wellness centers, Spas, Yoga, not to mention the chance to see a GREAT light show (lava). Maybe suggest Nayara Hotel and Gardens http://www.arenalnayara.com/

Beach maybe Montezuma, Manuel Antonio after the New Year will clear out tourist wise.

Cheers

Inca

I travel therefore I am...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,883 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

Happy New Year!

If you are planning to spend the new years with us, my advice is to hurry up, you could easily end up with not very good hotels options...or to expensive or just terrible ones...

Most hotels are getting sold out!

roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

In 1 week for first timer

www,arenal.net

www.lostiguanaresort.com

then on Guanacaste/Nicoya

www.playamontezuma.net

www.ylangylangresort.com

usually rent a car www.tricolorcarrental.com

for freedom flexibility...have fun

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

We are going to CR again in January. Last Jan. we loved zip lining in Monteverde, the hot springs and ATVing near Arenal, and Manuel Antonio National Park. This time we are going to Playa Azul at the Sanctuary Resort near Marbella, Guanacaste. It is somewhat remote but has shuttle bus service.

Try Interbus for travel to distant places but not in southern Guanacaste. I was unable to find easy transport from Liberia airport to Marbella, so we are renting a 4wd.

We are going on a catamaran out of Tamirindo.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
356 posts
5. Re: need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

May I suggest that you visit Langosta Beach?

Langosta sounds just like what you are looking for... There are luxury vacation rentals like Naxos, Peninsula, Horizontes and La Esquina...

The beach is beautiful and there is great dinning available in Tamarindo..

There are also a lot of eco-activities... lots of wildlife, leatherback turtles, snorkeling, national parks...

Hope this helps

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
6. Re: need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

Langosta is just 1km south of Tamarindo Beach and has lots of beautiful condos for rent. Tamarindo is on the northwestern Pacific in the Province of Guanacaste and has some of the best beaches. Good food... we have so many good restaurants its hard to choose! Character hotels hmm... we have several interesting bed & breakfast inns. There will be a lot of parties this New Year's Eve in Tamarindo. Most of the animal life will be in the bars on December 27th!

7. Re: need advice - eco tourism and 1st time in CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, May 27, 2010