We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orosi - Paraiso??

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Orosi - Paraiso??

Hi There,

We will be renting a house in Paraiso (Outside of Cartago) for two days at the end of March. Anyone have any recommendations for things to do, places to eat, routes to explore (drive or hike) etc. We were thinking white water rafting, but not sure of conditions this time of year. We will have a car also for exploring.

Thanks so much!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

I will give you a better response later as right now I an at a cantina just outside Paraiso enjoying a Pilsen and the beautiful views of the Orosi valley and only have Mt blackberry and a weak signal. Tell me a little more about your interests and what you are doing the rest of your trip.

Edited: 4:05 pm, February 26, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

Cana Tico...have a cold one in my name...and some great old BOCAS!

Nobody in this forum better to answer any question regarding Cartago...CANA TICO...he loves that part of our country...and that part of our country loves Cana Tico..

roadadvisor

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

Thanks Cana Tico!

We really are a fun loving group that just likes to have a good time, no matter what we're doing. Zip lining, waterfalls, hiking (nothing major), thought about whitewater rafting, and of course EAT(we're american, haha!). We also just like to get in the car and drive, not sure how feasible that is in that area.

We get into SJO at 9:00am so we'll have pretty much the whole day, and the whole next day to explore the area. After the two days in Paraiso, we'll be headed to PVT for six days.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

Hi Just Us

Since I am on vacation this week I cut and pasted a reply below that I gave to another group. Some will apply to you – some will not.

Aventuras Orosi is the group t0 contact for rafting canopy etc. The river looked pretty good yesterday when I drove by. (Level 2-3)

Food: there are many choices Casa Jose has some of the best food in Costa Rica as well as a waterfall, hicking trails and amazing views. If you are feeling a little more adventurous and would like to be the only tourists in an authentic Costa Rican Cantina with live music and real CR food – take a cab (don’t try to find it driving) to Bar Las Vegas in Tegar. There are also a number of more North American style restaurants in the area surrounding Walmart (yup Walmart you can’t miss it) Even a decent sushi restaurant.

For fun right in Paraiso follow look for Complejo Turistico Picacho Paraíso on Facebook. This is a great event center that often hosts horse shows, Tico Bullfighting and Topes. Sometimes just great live entertainment, Drop by and ask Mauricio is anything is going on while you are there.

Gotta go and enjoy my time here but if you have any specific questions just send me a private message.

Here is the cut and paste.

You will have a great time in the Orosi Valley.

Go to Irazu early in the morning for the best views. On the way up the mountain your kids may enjoy stopping at the haunted sanatorium/hospital/insane asylum.

On your way back to Orosi you will drive through Cartago. Spend some time there and check it out. Cartago is a beautiful and walkable city with attractions such as the Bastilica de Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles, the Ruins and Central Park, a museum and the Central Market.

On the way back to Orosi you will drive past and Lancaster Botanical Gardens. There you will find beautiful gardens maintained by the University of Costa Rica. Great place to spend a couple of hours.

The Orosi Valley is my favorite area in Costa Rica and well worth visiting. In addition to beautiful Vistas you will find The House of the Dreamer (Casa del Soñador), the ruins at Ujjaras and the colonial church and museum in Orosi proper. Tapanti National Park is a nearby opportunity to experience an unspoiled rainforest. Bring a picnic and bathing suits so the kids can jump in to the river under the rapids. Yes it is quite safe if they are swimers, but cold!!

For something a little more adventurous contact Aventuras Orosi and Raft the Rio Grande de Orosi or try their new Canopy tour

For coffee tours the Golden Bean coffee tour http://www.goldenbean.net/ is great but a bit of a drive (maybe an hour???) There are also coffee growers right in the valley that will give tours as well but they have to e prearranged. I will try to get some contact information when I am there is a couple of weeks.

I am not sure if you have booked a hotel yet, but Orosi Lodge is your best bet if you want to stay in town, which is a good idea because there are plenty of nice shops, the church museum, good places to eat and the municipal hot springs. All are within walking distance.

The hot Springs in Orosi are enjoyable but very basic…. Essentially a few swimming pools with warm water pumped to the pools from natural sources. Los Balnearios are the ones right in town next door to Orosi Lodge. Los Balnearios also has a cantina where you can get food and drinks – including beer and other alcoholic drinks. The best part is that they are very inexpensive. Your kids will have a ball and have an opportunity to interact Ticos and maybe learn a little Spanish.

There are several restaurants right in town that are fine – some with patios facing the central park, but for some of the best food in Costa Rica (with a View) make the drive to Casa Jose located at Hotel Quelitales which is also a wonderful place to stay – just a bit of an adventure to drive to. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309231-d177082… They have a family cabin and there are nice hiking trails, a waterfall and trout ponds where the kids can go fishing for dinner.

For more information (and videos) on the Orosi Valley just search facebook for Explore Route 224 - Visit Orosi, Cachí and Ujarrás

Have fun and let me know if you have any more questions.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

Oh and if you are lucky and there is a futbol game on in Cartago- GO! You will not regret this amazing experience. Try all of the street food offered by thee vendors as well.

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

Thank you so much! I love street food, so I will surely enjoy some of that! What are typical street foods in Costa Rica?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

Con Mucho Gusto

Chicharrón (in a plastic bag) – squeeze some limon on them, carne (meat) on a stick, Tico style chorizo sausage on a corn tortilla with chimichurri, and the best…. Pati (pa-T Jamaica patties) home made and baked not fried. The vendors will carry big bakets and shout “pati pati guatro por dos” which means four for 2000 colones or about a buck each. They will ask “chili or dolce” (hot or mild) (and much more)

Provecho

Edited: 7:29 pm, March 09, 2013
Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

Ok, one more question. We're looking for a hotel room for our last night. Should we stay somewhere outside of San Jose, or right in San Jose for the last night? We'd like to stay somewhere where we can go out and get some good food for our last night. Any suggestions?

9. Re: Orosi - Paraiso??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, April 11, 2016