We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful church and ox-carts

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful church and ox-carts

We were in CR in 2007 and missed Sarchi. Is Sarchi on anyone's "must see" list?

19 replies to this topic
Sturbridge...
Level Contributor
38 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

Sarchi is a beautiful little town. Most tourists just pass through and keep going, but I think it's definately worth spending a day or two. The botanical gardens are really nice. It's within driving distance of Poas Volcano and La Paz waterfall gardens which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! There are some really neat little cabinas, I believe they're called Cabinas Candelero just up the street from the botanical garden. They're log cabins but very clean and charming, with a rushing river nearby and in the midst of mountains and trees. Only $24/night for each cabin. Sarchi is the souvenir capital of CR but that doesn't mean it's full of junk. The quality of the craftsmanship is top notch. Beautiful wooden things of all sizes and for all budgets. I would say, don't miss Sarchi. (and no, I don't work for the chamber of commerce - I just love the place

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

Don't miss lunch at Super Mariscos!! the best restaurant!

The town is really quaint and the woodworking and furniture shops are very interesting! Even the souvenir shops are fun to browse through....even if you aren't interested in the 'typical keepsake' there is always something different! We will buy chairs one day....I really like them and they get more comfortable with age (after sitting in our friend's chairs numerous times over many years!).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

I was surprised at how high the prices were in the souvenir shops. Not just tourist price high, but crazy high, in my opinion. We ended up going to the Artisan Market in San Jose which had a better selection of items at a fraction of the price. I liked the rockers though, which were not available in the Artisan Market, so might go back to Sarchi to pick one up.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

In Sarchi if you can get a Tico to haggle for you the rocker prices are very much lower. It only cost me $40.00 to bring one back to Canada as oversize baggage. That was Continental but I am sure most others are similar.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

Thank you Cana Tico...you really got a good deal and a good chair...enjoy it!

roadadvisor

Canada
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

Thanks RA - I actually got the chair for free - I have learned that cumpleaños cincuenta is a big deal in Costa Rica. Ja! I do know they they paid much less than the list price, but not exactly how much!

NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

Harryryan2,

Can you tell me where the Artisan market in San Jose is. I am assuming it is not the same as Central Market? We are going to be in SJO in April and have a free afternoon/evening and would love to pick up some unique Costarican handicrafts.

Thanks

Massachussets
Level Contributor
370 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

Is Sarchi on the way to Arenal from SJO?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Beautiful church and ox-carts

Sarchi is on the way to Arenal.. sort of. If you are driving it is a short way ( max 5 miles) from the toll road and is an easy, and pleasant, 'detour' . I recall the way was well marked and we had no problem finding our way.

Reply to: Beautiful church and ox-carts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sarchi