We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna - accomodation

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
La Fortuna - accomodation

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding where to stay in La Fortuna? We would like somewhere inexpensive but clean and with some character. I loved the idea of the treehouses but the bad reviews put me off. We have also considered Cabinas Oriumal, Mayol Lodge and Hotel Tropical paraiso, but we can't find any photos or reviews online. If anyone has any suggestions, or photos please so say.

Thanks

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

arenal lodge is my fave, but i also like don busco in the center of la fortuna:

my fotos are below- siorry none of hotels:

…typepad.com/photos/…index.html

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

You said three magic words - "inexpensive", "clean" & "character". If you want all three, then here's your answer:

http://www.cerrochato.com/

This delightful place is quite near town but just off the road to Arenal. And has one of the best views of the volcano action around these days. Most people think you must pay with your firstborn son for great lodging in the Arenal region, but most people are simply wrong about that.

Don Miguel and his family will take delightful care of you, too.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

Does the Cerro Chato still have good views of the lava flow?

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

Lesson in volcanoes - one that no one, including hotel owners (who are also marketers) seem to grasp:

There are different types of volcanoes, those that produce lava that flows down the side, and those that do NOT produce lava flowing down the side, but instead on occasion spew out hot rocks that can sometimes roll down the side.

Arenal is the second type of volcano. If when you say "lava flow", you are imagining flowing lava such as seen at Hawaii volcanoes, then prepare yourself to be disappointed at Arenal. There is NEVER any flowing lava there. Believe it or not.

That being said, Arenal does indeed throw out red glowing rocks, which can be seen on clear nights skipping down the side every once in a while. Not continuously, and not when the mountain is covered by clouds, which is MOST OF THE TIME .(the best time to see it? In the deepest part of the rainy season - October.)

Sometimes the lava rocks skip down one side, sometimes another, depending on which side of the crater most recently caved in. Right now, they can be seen best form the side of the volcano nearest to the town of La Fortuna. That means that, yes, Cerro Chato Lodge which is on that side of the volcano and just southeast of the town (two kilometers maybe) has as good a view as you can get - when you can get it. Those expensive lodges strung along the road are now being short-changed on the lava rock viewing - or is it the gullible guests who pay those outlandish prices for "lava views" that are being short-changed?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

Thanks for the great info. I understand that we cannot predict where the "flow" can be best seen, but we want to maximize our chances of seeing it. We will be there in early March.

We read on another post from someone who just returned from there, that the view is not good from La Fortuna right now, and that it is better from Tabacon. We were also considering staying at La Cangreja which is near Tabacon. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

I was last there during the first week of December, and the falling rocks were definitely visible from the town side. It is a big mountain, though - dominating the countryside right outside the village - it is fairly difficult not to know it is there, even when covered by clouds. And wherever the rocks may be falling, it is not far from wherever you will be - a short and inexpensive taxi ride at most.

So I would make my hotel decision based more on amenities, price and ambiance than on whether or not you can see the "lava" while sitting on your porch. For example, so what if your hotel is right underneath the volcano if your cabinas is also right along the highway, so that the road noise destroys the ambiance?

And please keep reminding yourself that you will be lucky to see the top of the mountain at all - most of the time is is hidden by clouds - really, truly. If you intend to stay a few days, then you will see it more than likely unless you are extremely unlucky. But if you will be there for only a night, then your chances, I would say, are at best 40-60.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

Thanks for the suggestion. We have some things to think about now. We'll try to pick a place accordingly.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

Right now- I know that it could be different tomorrow- which 2 and 3 star hotels are having the best luck viewing any "lava or spitting rocks"? Thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

We stayed at Los Logos in late February.

http://www.hotelloslagos.com

Due to a misunderstanding about need to have an adjacent room with our kids, we were upgraded free of charge to a "superior" room near the back of the resort. Great views of the volcano and when cloud cover cooperated, we got a glimpse of the lava. They also have their own private road that goes up to an observation point. You are going to need a 4x4 to use it.

If you're going with kids, this hotel also has a mini water park with slides, etc.

Food was good and breakfast was included.

It's about half way between La Fortuna and Tabacon, which should provide some decent views of lava from the wet bar area.

Northern California
Level Contributor
364 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Fortuna - accomodation

Simple but clean is Erupciones Inn. It is right below Kioro Inn, if the volcano is visible you will see it well from there. Even if you can't see it you will hear the rocks falling like distant thunder. In Feb. a double was $65 versus $300 for Kioro. The owner was very pleasant and helpful.