We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

Hello,

People have been telling me that it rains all the time in September in Arenal, is it really that bad and does it intervene with tourism there?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

What people have been telling you it rains all the time in September in Arenal?

Well, yes, September is part of rainy season in Costa Rica and it can be rainy in Arenal in September.

Look here for typical rainfall patterns: costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

In reality, the weather in September in Arenal can be like this:

1. Sunny mornings or partly sunny, getting more cloudy as the day goes on, rain late in the day or in the evening.

2. Cloudy all day with rain late in the day.

3. Light showers off an on all day.

4. All of the above. It can be like this: sunny...... cloudy...... rain.......sunny.....rain.......cloudy....... all on the same day.

Unless the rain is really heavy and constant (rare) then all tourist venues will be operating. For the best chance of avoiding the rain, plan your activities in the morning as the typical pattern is rain late in the day.

But consider this: It is just water. You get wet....... and then you get dry. Often when you are hiking and hot and sweaty, a cooling shower will be welcome.

Someone once asked on this forum if the whitewater rafting trips go in the rain. I was just like...... uh.......

Edited: 7:33 pm, June 12, 2014
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

If is closer to october could be, specially because the rainy season get worst at end of september.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

Thank you so much for your feedback, it truly helped. My biggest worry was that maybe some tours (zip-lining, hanging bridges etc) would not be available due to heavy rain making it dangerous.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

I am going from Sept.11-17.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

Well for experience, the way you can skip the rain is doing zip-lining, hanging bridges etc at mornings, usually rains after 12 p.m

Canada
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

I love sitting in the hot springs in the rain. It is the best time!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

I feel the same, CanaTico. It's quite the experience.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

I would go so far as saying divine... hot springs on a chilly rainy night is the best time...

9. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:37 am, September 15, 2014
10. Re: September Weather in Arenal Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 14, 2015