We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting any good?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting any good?

We're travelling to Costa Rica next week, and will be staying in Arenal for a few days from the 23rd April. Is the rafting in the area likely to be any good then? I've read previously that the rivers are too low for safe and fun rafting at this time of the year, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting any good?

That's been the case recently - some outfitters have even temporarily closed down or just offer limited rafting. However -- all that can change with a few days rain. I would just wait until you are there and then decide. After weeks of dry weather, it rained pretty hard this morning where I live in Costa Rica so there's always hope!

If not rafting - maybe windsurfing or paddle board on Lake Arenal?

Edited: 8:09 am, April 09, 2014
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting any good?

Agree with Hattie, just hold off on the choice until you are here. The Balsa river is run when they release water from the dam so this does not require rain as the other rivers do. This is is the only sure bet I know of.

Edited: 12:30 pm, April 09, 2014
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting any good?

For that month the weather is really hot and gets better so my advice is find another activities just like plan b and wait until you get here.

4. Re: Rafting any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 11, 2015