We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

Read good feebacks on both. Whitch one would you recommend? We would be there for 2-3 nights. Our wants and needs: Good view of volacano, clean, comfortable rooms, pool, good restaurant on site.

Thanks so much!

California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

I've stayed at Arenal Paraiso twice in 5 months. Don't know about the other place, but can tell you that AP has views from all rooms, great breakfast buffet with an awesome view as well, and you can't beat the 13 thermal water pools unless you splurge and go to Tabacon.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

We stayed at the Arenal Paraiso last week, and there was a good view of the volcano first thing in the morning before everything clouded over. On occasion you would hear a rumble and then see a cloud of smoke come from the volcano. We did not see it erupting from there in the evening. By midday it was so clouded over you wouldn't even know there was a volcano there. However, we were lucky enough to see the lava flow one night from the El Novillo restaurant down the road, which surprised us as it was raining.

As to the hotel, it was OK. The cabins are clean, but very dark and totally uninsulated. There is only about ten feet between the sides of the cabins, so if the people in the next cabin are speaking loudly you will hear them in yours. There is a pool as well as some small thermal pools, including one with a swim upp bar. There is also a spa where I had an enjoyable massage, and a canopy tour on the premises. We only at at the restaurant for breakfast, which was buffet style with an omelet station. It was fine, but nothing to rave about.

As long as you go expecting to stay at a mid-range rather than high-end hotel you will probably enjoy it.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

Chedk out Arenal Springs resort. Fairly new. Every 'cabina' (duplex style) has a great view of the volcano. Great pool, nice restaurant, internet in the lobby. Ten days ago we watched the red molten lava flow down the mountain on two successive nights.

Westfield, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

Didn't stay at either hotel, but ate at both. Great breakfast at Arenal Paraiso and nice dinner at Volcano Lodge - good views potentially from both if the weather cooperates. But we stayed at Arenal Observatory Lodge... a little more out of the way, but I watch lava pour out of the volcano from bed and it's extremely scenic!!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

We stayed at AP and second the opinions that the 13 thermal pools were wonderful. Also the grounds are totally landscaped with orchids and exotic plants. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, but dinner in the restaurant was totally underwhelming. We thought our rooms was spotless and we were quite happy with it. ENJOY!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

I just returned from the Volcano Lodge a few days ago and I really liked it. The rooms were clean and there is a private patio for every room with very comfortable rocking chairs with leather backs and seats. The grounds were beautifully maintained and there were gorgeous flowers and plants all over.

The restaurant was excellent and all of the staff was very friendly. The volcano views from every room were amazing. The only complaint I had was that the walls were a bit thin but if you turn on the AC (which has a remote control) it blocks out noisy neighbors.

The pool was beautiful and there was a private jacuzzi just off of the pool in a hidden location.

I would stay there again :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,463 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

Volcano Lodge..rooms are bigger, nicer...a whole better operation than Arenal Paraiso!! Location about the same views from either one!!

Good pools at Volcano Lodge...food is very good too!!

R .A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Quincy
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

Our experience at AP I would give a grade of B, decent breakfast, good veggie sandwich and salad for lunch. Ate in La Fortuna for dinner all 3 nights. The bed and linens on our bed would rate an F, crappy mattress and old, thin sheets, had the "superior room" which was fine, but the bed, thumbs down.

Cali
Level Contributor
115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

How far is VL from La Fortuna (the town)?

colorado
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arenal Paraiso or Volcano Lodge??

Loved AP when we went, great breakfast, great view, great staff, great zip line.