We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

Weatherford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

I'm trying to decide between two different places in the Arenal area. We are traveling there with our college-age son in late January. One place has air-conditioning and the other does not. I like the location of the non-AC choice, but I don't want to be sweating while we try to sleep either. If it makes any difference, my non-air conditioned choice is Arenal Oasis and is located amongst trees. The air-conditioned choice is Hotel Arenal Green. Thanks for your help!

Denisa

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

I don't think you will have a problem at Arenal Oasis. The bungalows there are all in the shade, there are screens that let in the cool night air and there is a ceiling fan. We stayed there in July and it was not a problem. It's a beautiful place - and reasonably priced - and the huge picture windows give you an excellent view from your room.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

I agree with Hattie. We live here and never turn the AC on. Don't get me wrong, we like AC when warranted, but it's not necessary here.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

The weather should be nice. you wont need it....

Enjoy your stay in Arenal.

Weatherford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

Thanks for the information! This is a great forum to answer my questions!

Denisa

Michigan
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

Although I am not familiar with either of these places you are considering I did want to comment regarding AC. We were in La Fortuna 2 1/2 weeks ago and were very grateful for AC as it was quite humid and rained a bit every day. We also stayed north of San Jose in a B & B w/o air and it was very uncomfortable ,damp and musty. MOST of the year AC is not needed there but when you hit a rainy stretch like we did it was sorely missed. So... if you are used to AC and like AC for sleeping you may want to take that into consideration.

I do not know what the weather is like in JAN in La Fortuna ... just wanted to chime in. Also, La Fortuna has one of the nicest town squares and a great photo op with the church and volcano as a backdrop.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

It is usually quite cool in January...right now we've had some summer-like days then rain in the afternoon but still quite cool and almost no humidity. Usually, in my opinion, it's humid before the rain comes and then once it rains it's much better but I really haven't felt that it's been humid for quite some time. I'm sleeping with a blanket on the bed right now so January should be more of the same. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

Nice cool nights early morning 2 - 3 am...nice that even you will be looking for a blanket...I lived aroudn Arenal for many years...and never ever we mis not to have a AC...well...we did not know even how a AC looks like...some fancy houses then...with big noisy fans...but most of our house...just a great open windows!

roadadvisor

Weatherford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

I'm glad to get all of your replies. I have made my booking at Arenal Oasis, and will be looking forward to writing a wonderful review for them!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

One "bonus" of Arenal Oasis is their breakfast area. It's open air and they have placed bird feeders here and there, mostly with fruits to attract the birds. I counted 12 species as we were eating breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed both the breakfast and the antics of the birds.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How important is AC in Arenal area in January?

We usually stay in places without AC, but in Arenal and Monteverde the thought never crossed our minds.