We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

While initially planning to split our week-long honeymoon in late July/early August between two areas, we have decided to spend the whole week in La Fortuna. We decided this mostly in order to save money and to avoid the stress and wasted time of traveling within the country.

Our question then is this: Is La Fortuna worth spending a week at? We plan to zipline, hike, visit Lake Arenal, visit the hot springs, and white water raft (on the last day using a company to take us to the Pacuare and then to San Jose). Ultimately, however, the goal is relax. Would we be making a mistake not visiting another area in Costa Rica in that week?

And any recommendations about where to stay in the area? We want somewhere as nice and romantic as possible while still reasonably priced. We love the look of Nayara but likely can't afford $300/night (especially in green season)! We were hoping to spend around $1,200 for lodging for the week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

Of course you can spend a week in the Arenal area and not get bored. Between all the nearby excursions and a couple of excellent day trips to other areas, it would be fine.

For a week's stay, you might consider a vacation rental. It might be more comfortable for you than a hotel. But - if you prefer a hotel, there are about a gazillion. This might help: www.arenal.net - there's a lot of hotels listed here as well as "things to do" and a handy map showing where the hotels and the excursions are located.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

Thank you! I had put the idea of vacation rentals out of my head due to the lack of security when we were considering Cahuita or Puerto Viejo. Would the isolated nature of vacation rentals be a safety concern for the Arenal area (any more so than other similar areas considering that crime and safety is a potential issue everywhere in the world)? We normally stay in vacation rentals when visiting Europe and love them (although I think the whole "romantic honeymoon resort-vibe" is appealing to my fiancee)!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

I don't think you will have a problem with a vacation rental in the Arenal area. You pretty much have your choice of isolated or not. Crime is not as much of a problem in that area.

What you might do is rent the vacation rental for 5 days or so and then "splurge" on a "romantic honeymoon resort" for your last night or two.

Anyway - food for thought. Check out www.arenal.net for a lot of options.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

Arenal Springs Resort is a nice place that would fit within your budget. They have hot springs on the property and it is run by friendly people.

In my personal opinion, a week is too long to stay anywhere in CR unless it is a week following another week of checking out other destinations. The country is so diverse, that it would be a shame to go through the effort and expense of coming here and just go to one location.

Monteverde connects well with La Fortuna. You can take the taxi-boat-taxi to get there which breaks up the transfer as you take a boat across Lake Arenal. While you could not do the Pacuare connection, you could just raft in the Arenal area while you are there on the Rio Balsa, Sarapiqui or Toro. The ziplines are generally better in Monteverde as well.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

Here are a few places to look at:

Small/intimate/bungalows: Silencio del Campo, Arenal Volcano Inn, Lomas del Volcan (this last one you feel like you're worlds away but just a 5 minute drive from the main road)

Large/resort type hotels: Arenal Manoa, Arenal Springs, Hotel Los Lagos...these are some of the largest in the area which means you can have 100+ people at breakfast but that also means you get many services with that so something to think of.

Safety is definitely not something you need to worry yourself about here in La Fortuna. And no problem with being here a week, in fact once you see all the things there are to do here you'll probably wish you had more than a week! Congrats & enjoy! :-)

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

We had stayed at El Silencio del campo for 2 nights during our honeymoon and wished we had stayed longer. The hotel is beautiful, staff is awesome, and breakfast is included. They have their own restaurant so whenever you're too tired to go out you can eat there. The food is excellent.

We spent 10 days in CR and been to the Caribbean side and Arenal (minus first and last day in Alajuela) and thought we didn't have enough time to relax. We tried to squeeze as many activities as possible and it was exhausting. I like your idea of staying in La Fortuna for a week. There are lots of things to do in the area. My friend just spent a wonderful weekend with Jacamar Naturalist Tours. Here's the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/JacamarTours…

7. Re: A week-long honeymoon in La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 16, 2014