We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

I am going soon with my wife (no kids) and I have read mixed reviews. Can someone please help clarify as I'm trying to decide between Lost Iguana or some other hotel near town (such as baldi; kioro or mountain paradise).

People seem to like....

- jungle-like setting that you cannot get anywhere closer to la fortuna

- outdoor shower / tub

- views from rooms

This is what people say would make them want to stay somewhere else:

- far from la fortuna and restaurants

- no hot springs

- view of volcano not as good as other hotels since lava flow stopped

- Bad restaurant

- some say there are "better" hotels in the area and not to bother (but do not mention which ones)

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Jeff

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

If you have a car the extra distance to La Fortuna (20 minutes) is no big deal. If not you can reely on taxis to get into town. Most tourists however don't spend that much time in La Fortuna but check out hotels and hotsprings on the road between La Fortuna and the lake. Lost Iguana is close to the lake and because it is off the amin road it is much quieter in the eveing than most hotels. The view of the volcano is excellent. if you want a clos view stay at Arenal Observatory Lodge but you will have to give up on the luxury accommodations.

As an alternative to Lost Iguana check out Arenal Nayara which is the #1 rated hotel in the Arenal area and Travel & Leisure's #2 rated hotel for all of Central and South America. (It doesn't have hotsprings either.)

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Thanks.... Nayara was not available, so we selected Lost Iguana but are confused due to the conflicted reports (mentioned above).

ALSO - does anyone know about wifi at Lost Iguana? Not that I want to jump online in the jungle, but it does come in handy at times.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Arenal Lodge to the left of Lost Iguana and up the mountain is nice. Offers great views across the valley to the volcano. Again no hot springs. It is really a climb to get up there by car. Has a restaurant.

Edited: 9:17 pm, July 11, 2013
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Here are my recommendations for a nice place for a couple, with hotsprings, in the jungle:

The Springs Resort & Spa: http://www.thespringscostarica.com/

*Gorgeous rooms, excellent views, great staff, excellent location, hot springs on site, animal rescue area on site. This is definitely high end but doesn't feel "stuffy".

Lower end than The Springs but still have what you're looking for:

Lomas del Volcan: http://www.lomasdelvolcan.com/

*Individual bungalows, fairly basic but clean, private and great views, I know people that have stayed here (and I've been there several times)-they could afford to stay wherever they wanted and they loved this place....

Royal Corin: http://www.royalcorin.com/

This is the least "Costa Rican" feeling hotel as it's quite contemporary but the rooms, pools, hot springs, restaurant, staff...everything is wonderful!

Check out these three as they're all very different...any one that you choose you can't go wrong! :-)

5. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:07 pm, July 26, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Lost Iguana is a lovely place...even better if you have a car..

Baldi is a cheesy place...and The Springs is a Disney kind of place...a lot of fake things around...even fiberglass rocks???

Roadadvisor

new york, ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Thanks for all the tips! We will have a car. We are going for more of a remote natural "out there" setting, so we chose lost iguana. We will be there 3 nights.

Thinking of doing:

- hanging bridges

- ecoglide canopy tour (first time!)

- a night hike (any reccos for a good, authentic one?)

- horseback riding (around volcano park, or la fortuna waterfall - not sure which yet)

- ecocentro danus

- tabacon for dinner/hot springs

What "gotta do" things did i miss?

What should i skip?

Before arenal, we will be in Boca Del Tora for 2 nights where we are thinking of going to Poa volcano, a Doka coffee plantation, la paz waterfall gardens, Sarchi and maybe del toro waterfalls.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Lost Iguana is a lovely place...even better if you have a car..

Baldi is a cheesy place...and The Springs is a Disney kind of place...a lot of fake things around...even fiberglass rocks???

Maybe LA FORTUNA WATERFALL...nice easy hike...great place for pictures...keep your eyes open...a lot of toucans along the road to get to waterfalls...

Roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

Did you mean Bajos del Toro?

new york, ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost Iguana, or stay in La Fortuna?

L - yes. Bajos del toro.