We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of activities

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Location of activities

I have searched and searched for a map of the Arenal region to tell me where certain activities are located, and can't seem to find one. Basically, I want to know if which of these activities are close enough to each other to do in the same day. We are staying at Lomas del Volcan, and will have a rental car, but would like to minimize the driving-we have an 11 year old and need to factor in lunch time etc. We have 3 and a half days in the area and want to do as much as possible without getting overtired, and driving back and forth. Also, does anyone know where the really cool tree (ceiba?) that I've seen pictures of is? Thank you in advance!

Proyecto Asis with volunteering

La Fortuna Waterfall

Venado caves

Canyoning-probably with Pure Trek as I think they are the only ones that work with kids

Possibly a volcano hike, but only if we can see a lot of wildlife

Hot springs (I know these are all close by-just want to be sure to get to one while we are there)

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: Location of activities

Driving times from Lomas del Volcan...note that it takes just about 5 minutes to drive from the hotel down to the main road:

Proyecto Asis-30 minutes

Rio Fortuna Waterfall-10 minutes

Pure Trek-10 minutes

You can see the big Ceiba Tree on the "Ceiba Trail" in the Arenal National Park which is about 30 minutes from you (opposite direction of Proyecto Asis)

Hope this helps & enjoy!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Location of activities

I should have also mentioned that we are going to Monteverde when we leave Arenal area-are any of these activities on the way to Monteverde?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Location of activities

Should I get a guide for the Ceiba Trail? Are we likely to see wildlife-more interested in mammals...

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: Location of activities

The Ceiba trail is within the national park, no need to get a guide there...just walk slow and be quiet. Look all around you and you can see monkeys, birds that walk on the ground and are about 3 feet high, coatis, montezuma oropnedolas & more. Enjoy!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
153 reviews
5. Re: Location of activities

We did a volcano hike and saw monkeys and toucans when we went. I've never heard of the Ceiba tree - will have to check that out next trip.

6. Re: Location of activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:54 pm, May 03, 2013
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
153 reviews
7. Re: Location of activities

I'm not sure what these references to people who visit every 20 years are about. If someone visits once I'd still love to hear their opinion. We go to the area every year, and it's still great to hear about new things.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,084 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Location of activities

Most people with a every 20 year visit to our country will have problems to remember some tours of some locations... since even for us locals is hard to know everything...in my case I do not even try...since I know I do not know my whole country...once again...to give travel advice is like eating fish...any body have to be very carefull...

roadadvisor

9. Re: Location of activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...