We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna or Monteverde?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
La Fortuna or Monteverde?

Hi everyone! I'm currently planning my June/July Costa Rican honeymoon!! My fiance and I really want to spend some time in La Fortuna, and we also want to see the Monteverde Cloud Forest- Do you think it would be more beneficial to do a day trip to Monteverde from La Fortuna, or cut the La Fortuna trip short and stay somewhere closer, like Santa Elena?

We are planning on doing two nights in La Fortuna no matter what- one so we can play around in the hot springs, and another so we can do the Rio Celeste Hike.

I would love your input! Thanks much!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
812 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

We were in La Fortuna for 3 nights. Can only comment on there. We stayed at Nayara Hotel and it was fantastic. A little out of the main town so you have to taxi in if you don't have a car. I think a taxi is about $12. We didn't go to Monteverde but from what I hear, it is a bumpy trip and not really worth just going for a day trip. Maybe others can elaborate more on that part.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

How much time do you have? What's your overall trip duration and itinerary?

Monteverde is in now way do-able as a day trip.

rome
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

You can do a day trip to monte verde from la fortuna because monte verde is all about cloud forest and can be done in a hike of few hours once there.La fortuna is a big village and interesting area full of things to do for any kind of espectation.I have been twice and I want to go back ! travelthenature

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

travelthenature - can you please explain how this is do-able as a day trip??

The drive from La Fortuna to Monteverde takes 4 hrs. Jeep-boat-jeep takes 3 hrs. Either way the there-and-back trip is going to take up at least half of your day. So yes you could spend 3hrs hiking in the afternoon and do absolutely nothing else - but isn't this a waste of time and money?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

Travelthenature, Rome, isn't it? So if anybody ask you about a day trip from Rome to Firenze, to have an ice cream near Ponte Vecchio, and a glimpse on the David statue outside on Piazza della Signorina (the replica, not the real deal), what would be your expert answer?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

Ah but xelas with a 1.5 hour high-speed train between Rome and Florence that trip makes a lot more sense than a daytrip to Monteverde.

The original poster may not have a good handle yet on how long it takes to get from place to place in Costa Rica. I would suggest a minimum of 3 nights if you're visiting Arenal. There are tons of things to do from ziplines to whitewater rafting, canyoning to waterfall hikes, hanging bridges, Cano Negro, kayaking or SUP on Lake Arenal and much more.

If time is limited, the OP might want to spend the 1st nite at or near the Los Angeles Cloudforest on the way to Arenal from San Jose. Check out the Hotel Villa Blanca Cloudforest Hotel.

Edited: 10:43 am, January 31, 2013
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

I'd spend at least three nights in La Fortuna if you can. Personally I wouldn't go to Monteverde unless I could spend two nights there; it's kind of a pain to get to, and you don't really want to go there and then just turn around and come back. Desafio's Jeep Boat Jeep is a good way to go between the two if you don't want to drive.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

Crfan, you are right - when the fast train starts on time - which is not always, or better, trains in Italy goes on "ore italiane" which is similar to manana! Yeah, I was trying to point out that driving for 3-4 hours to a location just to "turn around" is not a valid suggestion. If OP might not have a clue, whoever gives answers or suggestions should know. Or better say nothing. As I think, based on other posts by TTN, should be the case.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

Thank you all so much for your input! As for our itinerary, we are going to be in CR for two weeks. Our family has a vacation rental in Uvita, so we're going to start our trip there, staying for 5 nights. We then will be traveling to Puerto Viejo, where will we be staying at the Banana Azul for three nights.

Our original plan was to head to La Fortuna after PV and stay for three nights (spending one of the days in Monteverde) , then head to Tamarindo and stay there for two nights, before heading to San Jose to spend our last night before flying out. But after hearing so many things about Fortuna being too touristy, the volcano being inactive, and the general vibe being kind of "meh", I'm thinking maybe two nights might be enough. I've also been hearing that Monteverde is very difficult to get to, with little to no payout (not many animals, cold weather), so I'm thinking, maybe skip Monteverde all together?

I was entertaining the idea of staying at a lodge for a night in Monteverde and doing it that way. I'd still be open to going there- anyone have any great reasons for me to go?

I have this new idea of staying four nights in PV, then going up to Tortuguero and staying there for two nights, then going to Fortuna for two nights before heading back to San Jose.

BAH! There are so many options.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Fortuna or Monteverde?

Which sounds better to you:

Uvita-->Puerto Viejo-->La Fortuna-->Tamarindo-->San Jose

or

Uvita-->Puerto Viejo-->Tortuguero-->La Fortuna-->San Jose

or any combination thereof?