We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

C M
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

We're visiting CR is early April 2013 for a week and could squeeze in an overnight to Arenal/Fortuna. Our main reason would be to watch eruptions and lavaflows in the evening from a hotel.

We read about trips offering such experiences, but we also read that it hasn't erupted since 2010.

Can anyone give us a true indication of what we might expect to see one evening in April, so we can decide whether it's worth the detour to the area. We will be staying in San Jose, Quepas and PV de Talamanca so we don't need the other opportunities that Fortuna/Arenal offers.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

I add this.

I've been to Arenal MULTIPLE times back when it WAS active and I hardly ever saw the lava flow (or even the top of the volcano) because it was rainy and foggy/cloudy. So, even if Arenal was active, you are likely NOT to see the top of the volcano due to fog/clouds.

I prefer a lot of other areas in Costa Rica over Arenal...

Edited: 6:44 pm, December 11, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

great details about Arenal volcano.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

I guess it depends on your luck I have been in the Arenal area five or six times and only once did I not see the top of the volcano at least briefly, and I have seen plenty of smoke. Even without lava it is pretty impressive.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

Here is what it was like in 2010. Stayed up all night to photograph it. Its a long exposure of 30 minutes so you can see the stars as trails:

dpphotoimages.com/costarica/arenal_volcano.h…

Hope it will spring back to life one day.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,279 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

Excellent photo, dpsoftware! And you have also described the activity very precisely: quote A frequent cascade of red hot rocks is best photographed with a long exposure. unquote. Unfortunately, human eye (or brain) cannot make a 30 min exposure so the cascade of red hot rocks "live" were much less spectacular then on your photo.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

Great photo.

37. Re: Will we see lava flows and eruptions of Arenal volcano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 31, 2014