We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

Which tour is better to see wildlife and birds? The Cano Negro pontoon boat tour or the Penas Blanca river float with desafio tours? The cano negro tour sounds awesome but is the ride worth the time if time is short in LaFortuna?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

The main difference is you are on a riverboat at Cano Negro, whereas you are on a whitewater rafting boat (no rapids) on the Rio Penas Blancas. You will see plenty of wildlife on both, but Cano Negro has more birds and caimans.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

I will go for wild life to Caño Negro...

roadadvsior

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

We did the Cano Negro tour about 2 weeks ago.

You can find a cheaper price than from a resort if you go into town.

On the tour, we saw some caimans, neat little bats that hide on tree trunks, morpho butterflies, lots of birds, some howler monkeys and a sloth or two.

Long 2 hour drive from Fortuna makes it an iffy choice, especially if you will be in another place where you'll see the animals anyway.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

We've done both, and for us, the Cano Negro tour gives you a much better chance to see wildlife. Penas Blancas is a fun river float in a raft, but for us wildlife wasn't as prevalent in that area. We did see a few things, but the advantage of Cano Negro is that there's more abundant wildlife and being in a boat with a motor gives you a greater ability to find the wildlife and get closer to it. It's also rained on us for both tours, and the covered boat at Cano Negro is nice to have in that situation. For us the road to get there and the time spent are worth it. At Cano Negro we've seen several species of monkeys, caimans, bats, sloths, Jesus Christ lizards, and tons of water birds. I also like the stop at the Iguanas Restaurant where you can take pictures of dozens of huge iguanas sunning themselves in the trees. We've done Cano Negro with Sunset Tours several times and they've been great. Penas Blancas is nice if you're very short on time, but for us Cano Negro is better. At Penas Blancas, we saw one group of capuchins, but our guide said that's pretty rare. He had only seen them once in four years. Also saw howlers from a distance, one sloth, and one Jesus Christ lizard. We weren't able to get all that close, so I'd recommend bringing your own binoculars.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

Wow sounds like Cano Negro wins! Has anyone heard of Giovani or Taraba tours?I heard one of them goes directly into the desired area and gives great private tours. I wondered if I did Cano Negro if we'd have time to do a volcano tour in the evening ? Thanks for all your great advice!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

We've done both going into Cano Negro and staying along the Rio Frio; for us there wasn't any difference in the wildlife we saw - great in both places. Timing wise, we leave early a.m. and get back around 3:30 or 4:00.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

The volcano tour at the evening even that is nice...my personal opinion is not worth it...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

Although Arenal is not erupting right now, IMHO the tour gives you much more than just a photo op. The volcano/mountain is very mystical and powerful just sitting there, worth the money to get the history of it all. Have a great holiday in the Arenal area. Btw, don't know the 2 tour operators you mentioned, my partner used Sunset Tours as well and was pleased.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
9. Re: Cano Negro or Penas Blanca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 pm, June 21, 2013