We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

Hello,

My husband and I want to make the most of our week stay in CR next month. We love beautiful beaches, wildlife, nice lodgings/restaurants but not fancy, water sports and hiking. I'm thinking two days/one night in Arenal from the San Jose Airport, then to Manuel Antonio for some beach time and exploring the park and area towns, finishing off in Santa Teresa for pure relaxation. Is this a good plan? all suggestions, opinions are welcome and encouraged! I've been to several of these areas in the past, it's been 7 years, so I'm sure it has changed a lot! Thanks!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

I'd stick with 2 destinations for a week, bearing in mind you may need a first and last night near the airport depending on flight times.

Santa Teresa is quite a journey, might be better to save it for another time.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

I agree with Simon. IMO I would not try all 3 in a week. Choose 2 and have relaxed trip.

Cheers

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

ok thanks. santa teresa is the only spot i haven't been but i think the other two places would be nice to revisit. are there other relaxing/quiet beaches similar to santa teresa around the manuel antonio area? i think that main beach is a bit crowded and crazy! thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

Head south from MA to Dominical, might be what you want. Quiet down that way.

Edited: 4:24 pm, January 20, 2012
Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

Thanks, Incabod, I have been to Domincal also. Ok, doing so much research on CR today...What about Montezuma area? I have never been to this area and it looks like we could get our wildlife/jungle fix there plus beautiful beaches and a short drive to Santa Teresa area for a day or so. Would you recommend that instead of going to Manuel Antonio again? We will have a car. Do you know the driving distances between San Jose/Arenal/Montezuma area?

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

yourtravelmap.com may be useful to you

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

Going to those 3 places might involve a lot driving for a week but you can do it. 2 nts arenal, 2 manuel Antonio and the rest at Santa Teresa. Depending on your deprture flight you might need to spend your last night in San Jose or Alajuela

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

I will choose maybe two locations...maybe Arenal and Santa Tereza...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

I totally dig Montezuma. Little beat-nik town, hippie vibe, jungle experience nearby for sure. 2 thumbs up from me. You can do a trip up to Mal Pais easily, jump the bus.

Edited: 8:00 pm, January 20, 2012
md
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arenal-Manuel Antonio-Santa Teresa in a week?

We will be doing a similar trip this summer 1 nt SJ ,MA 2nts , samara 3nts, arenal 1 nt, poas 1nt. Driving is part of the adventure for us. I look at it as a sample plate. There is so much to see in CR, and if I only get a little taste of each place, I'm happy. We did this a few years ago stayed in 6 different places in 8 days and loved it. It was a lot of driving, but we saw a lot.