We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

I am busy planning our trip to Costa Rica with our sons ages 8,8 and 9. Canyoning was not originally on our radar but then I read about Pure-trek and am seriously considering it. They market themselves as being very family and kid friendly. Anyone have recent experience with them and young-ish kids? Do the kids repel by themselves or are they somehow tethered to a guide?

Are canyoning and ziplining different enough experiences that it makes sense to do both? We were already planning on ziplining with EcoGlide.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

Dear taitai...

Tryin to give advice to families about any soft adventure tour is tough...since is no way you can take seriously a company that will base the participation only on age...! What about weigth?..and some other factors...

My best advice...drive with the kids to location and ask all the questions once you are at tour location..

roadadivsor

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

dear taitai

we did zip lining last week in monteverde with our kids. 14,11, 9! it was great, absolutly perfect - the kids liked it a lot and had plenty of fun. go for it.

greetings

ma

Edited: 8:26 pm, January 15, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

sorry taitai,

firstly i thought CANOPY but you asked for canyoing - sorry cant help - havent done that yet with the kids.

ma

western springs, il
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

We did waterfall rappelling with Puretrek and it was great. Not sure if there is an age requirement but I suggest calling them to get specific information. All of the guides were professional, fun, competent, and the company is very safety conscious. Ziplining is differrent and also lots of fun.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

We did the Canyoning with Pure Trek in April. My daughter is 9 and my sons are 12, 15. They were awesome. There is really no way to go check out the tour site as suggested since they are taking you up into the mountain and there is no observation point. My daughter was terrified on the first waterfall but they knew to send her first. By the time I got to the bottom she was laughing and could not wait to do the second one. You will love this adventure. The kids went alone not tethered to a guide which I had been told but it worked out well despite that. It gave her a great sense of accomplishment. There are guides at the top and bottom. They can help them to stop or slow down.

Edited: 10:36 pm, June 14, 2012
6. Re: Pure-Trek Canyoning with Kids...a couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, June 16, 2013