We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

We will be completing our Costa Rica trip in the Arenal/La Fortuna area and would like to know the difference in driving time to Liberia airport or SJO airport.

Trying to figure out which would be the easier to fly out of...thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

Driving time is about the same to either airport but getting in and out of Liberia airport is much much easier. Not much traffic or crowds. The Liberia airport is much smaller and has only a few gates - so not the same crush of people.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

Ok, thanks!! :)

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

As Hattie said it's the same amount of time from La Fortuna to either airport. We live in La Fortuna but always fly out of San Jose (SJO) as the prices and schedules are always better for us. I always tell people to figure out where they're going to see where they should fly into/out of (ex-if you're going to Tamarindo and La Fortuna fly into Libera, if your'e going to Manuel Antonio and La Fortuna...go for SJO). :- Enjoy!

Wendy at the Villa Hermosa, La Fortuna, CR

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

and please note: the road from Tilaran to Arenal is really bad this times. If you take a rental car, take a 4x4. A lot of wholes are nearly everywhere cause we had a lot of heavy rain-showers. I have seen today a typical Tico car nearly damaged in one of this wholes.

Enjoy and take care...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

Sorry, Marion2405, I recently drove the road from Tilaran to Arenal and it is fine. No holes. It is a winding, up and down hill road that goes around Lake Arenal so it's usually slow going but- beautiful scenery.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

Hey Hattie!

Take a look, this is a picture of the current situation, taken today an hour ago!

…google.com/lh/photo/OwoiRss-MaAJNf4lp71FHQ…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

I've gone in and out of both airports. You will get a better price flying into/ out of San Jose, but I prefer to fly into/out of Liberia. It was so much easier as the town and airport are a LOT smaller than San Jose.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

marion - I don't question that there may be some holes - I don't know of any really perfect roads in Costa Rica. But your post makes it sound like the whole road from Arenal to Tilaran is full of holes. And yes, cars can be damaged in one of the holes shown in your photo. A prudent driver would slow down to navigate this stretch of road and, unfortunately, many Costa Rican drivers are not prudent.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

Just an update on this road, we drove it yesterday and the day before and those holes are not there anymore...from La Fortuna to Tilaran and back. :-) :-) :-)

michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving time to Liberia vs. SJO airport from La Fortuna?

That "hole" isn't much larger than a pothole this time of year in Michigan, and there's no snow!. I keep reading of poor roads in CR and people inssiting on 4X4's to rent - is that the type of "hole" we're talking about??? If so. I do't see the need for a 4X4!