We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
4 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

Hi,

We're staying at Silencio del Campo on 3/12 - 3/14 and would like to hike the Los Lagos trail up to the Mirador Lookout, but aren't sure if this is trail for guests only. Can anyone tell me? Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

Lizzie that is a good question...not long ago...I hike up there with some people that were not staying at the hotel...my friend and owner of the hotel was there and he help me...maybe you can ask for him just in case...Mr. Fabio Cedeno...or one of his kids...very nice people...but if you talk at the fornt desk...I will said...that they will maybe charge somenthing and let you do it!

Good luck!

roadadvisor

New Hampshire
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

The trail starts at the Los Lagos hotel. They apparently have an alligator farm there too. It is located just northeast of Titoku hot springs. Is that ringing any bells now? We're not sure if entering through this hotel to reach the Lagos trail is forbidden if we are not staying there. We found this trail on the arenal map (see www.mapCR.com) Does anyone else know about this trail and access to it? Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

Lizzie if it starts in Los Lagos...I will said is not a problem at all...even for people that are not staying there...just go to the front desk and ask about the trail...

roadadvisor

New Hampshire
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

Thanks Road Advisor!

I posted a second time before I saw your first response.

New Hampshire
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

Here's the scoop, now that we are back:

For a $10 fee per person, you can access the hiking trail at Los Lagos. Pay at the front desk. It was a very short walk (< 10 minutes) from Silencio del Campo. The hiking trail/path is about 2k or 1.2 miles and is moderately strenuous. Those in good shape should not have a problem. There were cars also driving up the same trail we walked on - I'm guessing they were guests of the hotel. The view from the top was nice and well worth the 20-30 minute hike. up

In addition to the hiking trail, the entrance ee gives you access to their butterfly "farm", frogs, crocodiles and ants, plus the pool. They raise tilapio in the "pond" out front - it was fun watching the locals catch the fish with a hand line - presumable for the restaurant to cook up later that night.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

Thank you for the update!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Hiking Los Lagos trail, but not a guest there...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 29, 2010