We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car vs. taxi

nyc
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car vs. taxi

We're staying at Leaves and Lizards in early April for 4 nights with our 7 yo. We know the conventional wisdom says renting a car is cheaper and allows more freedom, but we're city folk and drive like it:)

My question is, since most of our tours will originate from L&L is the car rental/driving hassle factor worth it? I've also heard driving at night isn't advisable. We do know L&L is on the remote side.

However, if just getting a taxi is the issue, then surely we would rent.

thx

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car vs. taxi

Honestly I would rent a car for the freedom. The whole don't drive at night thing is more about driving a long distance in an unfamiliar country with poorly marked roads. For tooling around La Fortuna or anywhere else for that matter, driving at night is fine.

You may want to go and visit some of the restaurants in he area and taxi fare can and will add up quick. IMO rent a car once in Arenal and have a blast.

Cheers

Inca

I travel, therefore I am...

Mentioned in this post
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,231 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car vs. taxi

In your case...rent a car!

roadadvisor

philly
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car vs. taxi

getting a cab is very easy! your hotel will be able to call one for you and to get anywhere around arenal would usually be no more than $10. But if u plan on doing a lot of tours...renting a car may be worth it, although lots of tours provide their own shuttle with no extra fees. About your driving...if aggresiveness is what you mean u may fit in well haha. It really depends what you want to do...especially if u want to venture out of arenal for a few days, renting a car gets you places more easily and quickly!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car vs. taxi

If you guys are taking tours from there and the food is delicious, I would skip out on the rental. You'll just need to get to them!

Sometimes being remote is fun:)

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car vs. taxi

You location remote cab fares will eat you up

Usually rent out of SJ www.servicecarrental.com

4WD from $149/wk..pays for itself over the week always

6. Re: Rental car vs. taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, September 06, 2010