We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

NY
7 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

Hello,

I just got back from Costa Rica 2 days ago and I HAVE to go back. I would like to go to Monteverde either end of March or in April. I went on Nature Air site and they don't fly to Monteverde, but do go to La Fortuna. Is there another flight I can get that does go straight there or do you have to first go to La Fortuna and then on to Monteverde? How would you do that if so? Also I am a nature lover so I think one week in Monteverde would be great. Is there plenty to do and see if you stay there for a week? It does not seem easy to go to Arenal from there and I am thinking I will rent a place for a week in Monteverde.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
549 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

DCdragonfly,

Glad you enjoyed your trip to CR.

There are no flights to Monteverde. And realistically, though it looks close on the map, it takes almost as long to get from the Arenal area to MV as it does from San Jose to Monteverde. So unless you are planning to spend time in the Arenal area at the front end - there is no real benefit to flying.

Depending on things like your time of arrival, your budget , there are several options to get from San Jose to Monteverde. They would be:

private driver

shared shuttle like Intebus or Grayline

public bus

To get from MV to Arenal or visa versa - look at Jeep/boat/jeep. However, MV to Arenal is not really suitable for a day trip. You would spend too much time travelling.

pura vida

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

As raquel_z has indicated, you have several options, some more convenient and comfortable than others. If $ isn't an issue, hire a driver.

If you have ample time and want an inexpensive trip, there is always the public bus, but be forewarned - the public bus ride from San Jose is a long and uncomfortable trip (the last segment of road is brutal), but you can't beat the price.

A great compromise is booking with Interbus @ http://www.interbusonline.com/main.asp# OR

Grayline @ http://www.graylinecostarica.com

They both offer daily shuttle services that pick you up at your hotel in San Jose and deliver you in aircon comfort to the door of your Monteverde hotel for $35 - $40 oneway.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Monteverde
Monteverde
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

easiest for me to rent a cheap car

www.mapache.com

up the Panamericana hang a right to Monteverde

then to Tilaran round the lake to Arenal

road little rattly in places mostly nice

www.mapcr.com

no worries.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

Hi,

I would take a shuttle, they are very reliable, safe and will take you door to door.

One week, in my opinion, is more than enough to do everything in Monteverde.

Have fun,

Marina K. Villatoro

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

Sorry as you already know ...NO flights at all to Monteverde from anywhere...the best just drive there is only 2 hours...from San Jose

Maybe spliting the week...Monteverde and Arenal...

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Jose
San Jose
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
6. Re: Getting to Monteverde from San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 25, 2010