We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Lost Iguana

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Lost Iguana

I know Lost Iguana is about 30 min from La Fortuna, but are there ANY recommended restaurants within a 15-20 min drive (aside from the hotel restaurant?)?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

There are small restaurants along the road around tabacon.

El Novillo good food like steak also www.arenallodge.com

www.tabacon.com has 2 new chefs food now pretty good

Best for fine dining El Emperador at www.royalcorin.com

Have fun,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

The closest one si El Novillo...costarican style steak house...they onley serve...sirloin steaks...big steaks...in a clear night...you can possible see some incredible lava from the restaurant...about 20 minutes from Lost Iguana...close to Tabacon hotel main entrance!

luis

toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

Thank you!

I think we're giving up and renting a car because we'd like to go to some sodas too and there doesn't seem to be any nearby options.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

I'm having the same dilemma (as far as dilemmas go, this is a good one to have) and have decided to rent a car while there -- I think it's the best option to have the freedom to come and go.

Related question for anyone: I really don't want to rent a 4WD -- do I need one to stay at Lost Iguana? Is the driveway fine with a regular small car (non-4WD). Sorry for the lack of vocabulary, but I don't own a car (though I am a good driver, surprisingly!).

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

sharkle, the Lost Iguana also has an employee shuttle that goes into town during the evening; they've let us tag along on that and get dropped off for dinner. Then we've just caught a taxi back. The drive into town isn't bad; the road is in good shape. I think you'll be happy renting a car though since the Arenal area is spread out. Good restaurants include Don Rufino, El Novillo, La Choza de Laurel, and Soda la Parada. Also had a good lunch at the Hanging Bridges if you decide to hike there.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

plum, I think you'd be fine with a regular car. Our taxis had no problem. The driveway is long and steep in spots, but set with pavers, and the road into town is very smooth. It's not a bad drive.

toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

Thanks all for the info

Hey Plum when are you there? I've been reading your posts and trip summary info, so I feel like i know you ;)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

Thanks volcanogirl -- I may in fact have already asked you this question (about the car). I can't remember now! Sorry if I did.

@sharkleberry -- We'll be there at the end of May (I think May 24 to 29), but with me, you never know -- I notoriously change my plans radically after setting them in stone. I think we'll stick with it though -- I just can't find anywhere else that has all the elements I want.

9. Re: Restaurants near Lost Iguana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 04, 2010