We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on White Water Rafting

Connecticut
3 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions on White Water Rafting

Could you pls give me some advice on white water rafting in Arenal? Toro, Balsa or Sarapiqui?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

We just did the Sarapiqui with Rios Tropicales and loved it. The guides were very fun, but also very safety conscious. We did get tossed out of the boat, and the guide had us back in in seconds. Halfway through the trip, they pulled over and we all ate great tropical fruit. At the end, we all ate a nice lunch together. It was a great day. They also have a photographer that rides along in a kayak - at the end, you can buy a c.d. of your pictures if you'd like. We'd definitely do it again. Rios Tropicales was recommended to us by several people, and the one our hotel recommended. Their website is www.riostropicales.com.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

Hi,

Toro or Balsa is closer to Arenal. Balsa is a bit easier than Toro.

One of the top companies in the area Desafio.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,077 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

I have been rafting in the area for a while as a guide and as a fan...I like Toro Amarillo....Sarapiqui is to flat and boring...and depending the time of the year like January...it is way down...and perfect to hurt yourself or twist and ankle...Balsa is just easy fun...not to much of a challenge!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

The Sarapiqui was a blast when we did it. I noticed that the guides sort of catered the trip to their clients. We had two groups, one a group of timid girls and our boat that was a little more adventurous. When the river would split, we would go down the side with the white water, and they would go down the side that was a little more calm. Our guide even had us doing the "washing machine" where one side would paddle in one direction, while the other side paddled in the opposite direction, and we would spin while we went down the rapids. We loved our guide. If you are interested in the c.d., I forgot to mention that they'll let you bargain a bit on the price. The pictures we got are great. There's a place to shower and change before you go to lunch, so bring along a change of dry clothes.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
430 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

Can I expect consistent class III rapids on any of these rivers in mid-February?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

All the rivers will be way down in Feb. Toro is your best bet in Arenal. And Desafio is the best option for guides. You sound as though this is not your first time. I am a very experienced rafter so I will just tell you straight out how I feel about options here. Even at the best of times you will not find anything over a class 4. I myself like class 5+ such as you find on the Gauley. Having said that it still a beautiful country and a nice way to spend a day. In Febuary you wont have a huge adrenaline rush but like I said it's a nice way to see Costa Rica.

Cheers

inca

I travel, therefore I am...

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,077 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

All rivers will go down during dry season...and one of the worst is Sarapiqui...it will be way down, for some people with not experience or any ideas about rafting Sarapiqui is a good river...that is the good about rafting in Costa Rica...almost anybody at any river will become an expert rafter!

Just buckle up and enjoy the RAFTING in PARADISE

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

You can also raft the Pacuare and take the rafting/x-fer option from San Jose to Arenal. This is what I would do as the Pacuare is fabulous!

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
895 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

I rafted the Toro with Desafio in February and the very popular Pacuare with Exploradores Outdoors in September. I thought the Pacuare was a bit more picturesque, but the Toro was more of an adrenaline rush. I thought the tour with Desafio was more personal, got to know people better. Maybe just luck, maybe the guides?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,077 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on White Water Rafting

A few rivers in America as good as Pacuare...if you have the opportunity run it!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!