We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

I know I am asking too many questions - but every time I get an answer I start on a new tangent!

We were going to stay at Lost Iguana for the Lava views at night, but then someone posted that there are lava views from Tabacon. Is this correct? I thought Tabacon was the wrong side for lava views?

If there ARE views from Tabacon, I read wildly varying reviews on the board from great to horrible. Is it really as busy & crowded as they say?

Thank you

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

Did you check out the map at www.arenal.net? It shows the hotels and the lava flow. It's flowing on the Lost Iguana and Arenal Observatory Lodge side.

We love the Lost Iguana. We went to the hot springs at Tabacon, and at least when we were there, it was loud and crowded, but I'm sure it varies with time of day, etc. Some people just love it, but we preferred Eco Termales hot springs.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

Of course there are lava views from Tabacon...from the hotel and the Hot Springs...you can see lava from La Fortuna to El Castillo...of course teh best views are from around El Castillo and Arenal Observatory Lodge...

Lost Iguana and Tabacon are almost in a front of each other....Lost Iguana is a little higher up behind the hills that are in the back of Tabacon...from a plane or helicopter you can easily see that they ...very much on line...that means if you can see lava from Lost Iguana you will see lava from Tabacon Hot Springs as well!

The main issue in Tabacon is to make money...sad but that is the way I see it...is a wonderfull place...but sometimes is like swimming in a Mac Donalds parking lot! So many people! It is not worth it to pay that much money and share the place with a lot of people!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

If you want free every day acess to best area hot springs with lava view

www.tabacon.com is best there was a great lava view from my OK room.

As Luis says the down side is the best springs can get crowded.

Did not bother me there are many pools around that were completly empty.

Wonderful mountain lava views from the springs at night.

www.lostiguanaresort.com more private better rooms lava views

beautiful but remote not developed...very much depends on what you want

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

having been to both, I would rather stay at Lost Iguana Resort. Considering, as roadadvisor said, that the view is good from either, I prefer the unique style of Lost Iguana vrs the more touristy Tabacon Resort. Lost Iguana is a hotel with more character, cozy ambiance, and uniqueness, while Tabacon Resort is a large, massive hotel. that's my personal choice.

Now, about the Hot Springs. There are other, even cheaper, options to the ones at Tabacon Resort. I like Eco Termales , and you can also book a pass with dinner here, same as you would in tabacon.

Have fun!

Costa Rica
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

I have been taking people to this area for years and the best hotels to see the lava are the Observatory Lodge and El Castillo, the Lost Iguana also but from far away, them you are going to have spect that the Volcano deside to show up because it is control the weter around him so you never know if is going to be clear or not. I should stay at the Tabacon because you are going to have access for free to the best Hot´springs, because if you want to go there and are not a guess of the Hotel are going to have to pay $60.00 of cover just to junp into a swimming pool, if you need more information you can find me under other travellers reviews on this site.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

Danilo, I have to disagree. I also like the Observatory Lodge very much, but you can't compare the lodging facilities at Lost Iguana with the ones at the Observatory. Although the view at the Observatory is better, Lost Iguana also has a great view from where the lava flows. So putting both of them in a balance, and having that these people are willing to pay the extra $ for the quality at Lost Iguana, I would say go for it. As for the Hot Springs, as mentioned before, I believe there are options to Tabacon. To me, the Hot springs at Tabacon are not necesarily the best, they might be the best known and the most crowded, but that doesnt make them the only / best option. I think Eco Termales is a great option to Tabacon.

Thank you

7. Re: Tabacon or Lost Iguana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 12, 2010