We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woz
Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

Hi, After visiting Costa Rica last August it became the best place I've ever been and I promised myself I would return. Now me and my girlfriend have agreed to go next year for 2-3 weeks. We want to stay at the Arenal Lodge, but we won't have a car. What ways (if any) are there of getting to this lodge? I did go on a 1 day tour to Arenal and to the hotsprings last year which cost me something like $100 from a hostel but we are looking at staying for a few nights and then venturing back to San Jose for a night before going either to the Caribbean coast or the Pacific coast. All help is appreciated.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

You have a few options; you might take Interbus which is a pretty affordable shuttle, you could hire a private driver but that's a little more expensive, probably around $140, or you could fly on Sansa or Nature Air. We usually fly with Sansa because it's located right next to the SJO airport, so it's pretty convenient.

Woz
Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

The Interbus things sounds ok. Is it a big shuttle bus (with toilet on board) or is it something that takes regular stops but a bit smaller? lol.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

Interbus generally use small 12-14 seat shuttle vans-with A/C and professional drivers. They run to a schedule, usually with one morning and one afternoon departure.

www.interbusonline.com

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

No bathroom on board; think just a van or shuttle like you would see in the U.S. For longer trips, they will stop to give everyone a bathroom break.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

Get a bus...public service is good and cheap...kind of slow...but fair price...they run all day long...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

6. Re: Arenal Lodge - How to get there from San Jose without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 17, 2010