We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you take american express?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis MO
2 posts
Save Topic
do you take american express?

Just wondering if american express credit cards are accepted anywhere.

Thanks!!

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do you take american express?

very rarely, mostly Visa is preferred and Mastercard

or cash, leave the AmEx at home

Torrance
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do you take american express?

Several places I went did not accept American Express.

Bay Area, Ca
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: do you take american express?

I have not seen any place that takes American Express in Costa Rica. This is not to say that there aren't a few larger chains that MIGHT take it, but none I have seen, from small sodas to larger hotels.

Southern New Jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: do you take american express?

Had no problem using AMEX at Peace Lodge, Lost Iguana, Hotel Fonda Vela and SJ Marriott But be aware of currency conversion charges. Amex used a lower conversion rate and then charged 2% on top of that. We paid about $ 80 in extra conversion fees on approximately $ 2500 in charges.

One card (I can't remember which one) adds no foreign dollar conversion fees.

Oh yes, VISA was accepted everywhere.

Sandwich
Level Contributor
35 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do you take american express?

We used our Amex card only a few times- at Tricolor Car Rental and one or two other places. And although many places post that they accept Amex, they often said that they would prefer Visa or Cash. In fact, we ran into quite a few places whose machines "didn't work" so we had to pay cash- we burned through a lot of cash and had to withdraw some from our Visa card because we couldn't access our cash in our American bank.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do you take american express?

A good use for the AMEX card might be for auto rental. I read their web site carefully and their CDW coverage applies to a rental anywhere in the world. I then checked Visa and Mastercard, but their CDW benefit only applies to the 48 contiguous states!

I'll be renting my car from one of the many rental companies that accept AMEX.

7. Re: do you take american express?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 26, 2009