We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

Vermont
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

I'll be in CR next month, driving from La Fortuna to Monteverde. Would anyone whose done the drive (recently or not), care to weigh in on it? The word is that it's a rough road and takes close to 4 hours. I'd love to hear any of your experiences, routes, and recommendations along the way. I'll be in a regular car, NOT a 4x4. Thanks!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

One of the worse roads...but one of the most scenic roads in that part of the country...my reccomendation...just drive slow...very slow...and you will make it...the PAMPA views from the road are amizing!!

Luis Road Advisors.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Vermont
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

Thank you so much for your post. One of the worst roads??!!! Legendary potholes large enough to swallow cars? This should be fun...

Denver
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

Hi, We are doing the same next month. How did it go? Any advice? Thanks!

Vermont
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

Hi!

Hopefully you'll get other posts with some actual first-hand experience. Because of time constraints, we ended up having to head back to San Jose from La Fortuna. My experience of driving all around in Costa Rica was that it took much longer than expected to get everywhere! Someone referred to it as "the 4 hour country" because no matter how close a place looks on the map, expect 4 hours travel time. The other big consideration I heard for that particular road is if you're attempting it in the rainy season or the dry. Things deteriorate considerably in the wet time. Good luck and please post if you make the drive.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

Like stated before, take your time, and bring a 4x4. Only place I used it in Costa Rica.

6. Re: Driving from La Fortuna (Arenal) to Monteverde.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...