We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

I am reading the Lonely Planet book and just wanted to make sure I understood how to get to all of these places.

Is there a bus that takes you from San Jose airport to La Fortuna? If so where can I find the bus information? How long is the bus ride and what company is the best?

If bus is not the way to go - how long is the drive from San Jose to La Fortuna?

Once we get to La Fortuna, I read it was best to rent a car while you are there to have the most convenient access to the trials, parks, waterfalls, etc. Is this accurate?

Is the best way to get from La Fortuna to Monteverde the jeep-boat-jeep or can you take a horseback ride?

Thanks in advanced!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
136 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

What is the general thought on using Sensa air at $78.00 per person?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

About one of the posts above...

Ohh hush, I'd really love for you to double-check the website you recommend, because http://www.shuttlebus.com takes me to some Krystal company building custom-made limos!

It's a shame, because I'm asking the same question: the best/cheapest way to get from San José (or even better, the airport) to La Fortuna... I'm looking into the options, but I think we'd be too late for the bus, since our plane arrives @ 16:50. I really like the idea of organizing/finding out about sharing a private shuttle to La Fortuna!

Anyone? I'd really appreciate any help! :-)

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

sophie,

I think you are right - given that you arrive that late you are probably stuck with either spending the night in the San Jose area or else finding someone to share with for a driver. If you are looking for the share, I suggest you start your own thread so your message will be more visible and people will see that it is current..

If you are adventurous and everything goes smoothly there may be a way you can get there the same day. There are buses from San Jose to Ciudad Quesada till about 7.30 at night and if the schedule is correct - the last bus from Ciudad Q to la Fortuna is at 9.30 PM. If you can be out of the airport and on a bus from San Jose to CQ by about just after 6 PM you could actually get there

visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/LEYES/pdf/Iti…

good luck and Pura vida

raquel

However, before you even try this I would make sure you or someone on your behalf checks to see that these times are the current ones. And once they are checking, they can also find out if you can get the buses to Ciudad Quesada anywhere in the Alajuela area as if this is the case (but I am not saying it is) it could save a trip to downtown San Jose.

Michigan
10 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Sophie,

It really is http://www.shuttlebus.co.cr, notice that is not a .com name. I know! We are so used to the .com's! I checked tonight, and these guys still offer a 5% discount on all trips.

Best of luck!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Whoa, thanks for the quick replies, guys!!

I sent an email to the share-ride shuttle site, to see what can be worked out that day...

And yes, the bus change sounds like a very possible option in Ciudad Quesada! I think we might even be able to get the owners of the lodge to come and get us there... I'll even get a list of hotels in that little town just in case.

Does anyone know how much a cab would cost from Ciudad Quesada to La Fortuna? It's only an hour away, that option might even be worth it if we're totally stranded! :-P

Thanks a lot, again! :-)

Costa Rica
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

I tried to make reservations on the interbus site and the site kept going down. Do you know the time the bus leaves on SAturday Jan. 24 and how much per person?

http://www.interbusonline.com/default.asp

Michigan
10 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

If Interbus is down, try http://www.shuttlebus.co.cr. Good luck.

18. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 14, 2009