We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

maryland
3 posts
2 reviews
getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

I am reading the Lonely Planet book and just wanted to make sure I understood how to get to all of these places.

Is there a bus that takes you from San Jose airport to La Fortuna? If so where can I find the bus information? How long is the bus ride and what company is the best?

If bus is not the way to go - how long is the drive from San Jose to La Fortuna?

Once we get to La Fortuna, I read it was best to rent a car while you are there to have the most convenient access to the trials, parks, waterfalls, etc. Is this accurate?

Is the best way to get from La Fortuna to Monteverde the jeep-boat-jeep or can you take a horseback ride?

Thanks in advanced!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,670 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Public bus from Airport to La Fortuna...I do not think so...sorry...

From Airport to La Fortuna about 3 hours...and about $ 100.00 for up to 6 people...

Yes it is good idea to have the car in Arenal...

Either way is possible...horseback ride good idea...nice ride!!

R.A Lusi

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

maryland
3 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Thanks so much for the help!

Do you have a rental car company you can recommend as I have read some of the rental car companies can be questionnable.

How many hours from Monteverde to Playa Tamarindo by car? Is it better to take a flight from San Jose to Playa Tamarindo instead of driving? When we get to the west coast to explore the beaches, should we rent a car out there to get around to the beaches such as Playa Avellana, Grande, from Tamarindo?

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,670 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Thank you for your post...I will like to recommend to Rent A Car...is a lot more convinient..

Flying to Tamarindo...is a short flight...maybe you can request the car company...to pick you up at the Tamarindo "airport"

From Monteverde to Tamarindo...is about 5 hours...

You are correct if you like to explore our beaches...is nice and a lot cheaper to have your own car..maybe a small Daihatsu Terios 4x4

TOYOTA Rent A Car...AVIS...HERTZ...ALAMO...the big guys are a lot safer than small companies...a lot of "pirate" companies...if you have a problem later will be a kind of hard to dipute the charges!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

raleigh
11 posts
4. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

You can also go with Interbus if alone - it costs 29$ per person leaves in 8:45 and 15:00 - pick up is at the green turtle souvenir shop which is close to the airport and Hampton inn. this is the link

interbusonline.com/services/…

Renatal car is a good option try thrfity. not expansive and gives good prices and service.

I found this link for car rental:

www.u-savecr.com

Check it carefully it's with great prices but i don't know it. yet.

Enjoy your trip!

FT. LAUDERDALE...
1 post
5. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

There is a wonderful bus system that takes you from San Jose to La Fortuna. GO TO INTERBUSONLINE.COM. It is a wonderful trip. It will take close to 3 hours. midway the bus stops in a small but well stocked gift shop. have a nice cup of costa Rican coffee there and relax. YOU CAN BOOK ONLINE. IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE. THE SERVICE IS GREAT.

While in LA FORTUNA go to ecothermales hot springs. have dinner there. I highly recommend it. As far as hotel goes, I have stayed in the ARENAL LODGE which is about 20 minutes from LA FORTUNA. It is well worth the stay there.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
85 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

I'm going to hire a private transport b/c I am getting there past the time that I'd be able to use Interbus...Most quoted rates are $120 to $150.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

You might also want to check GrayLine's Fantasy Bus which has a $:45 deaprture from San Jose to Arenal for $33. Check them out at graylinecostarica.com/graylinetouristbus.html They do not pick up at the airport but you can take a 5 minute taxi ride to the nearest hotel for pickup by gray line.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Oops! That was 4:45 from San Jose to Arenal

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
85 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

Thanks! I just saw that last night on another posting. For some reason, the last time I checked the Grayline site, that wasn't listed! Now it is. Thanks so much!

Michigan
10 posts
10. Re: getting from San Jose airport to La Fortuna to Monteverde

You can also hire Interbus service at discounted prices at http://www.shuttlebus.com. Check on Shared-Ride trips. They also have Inbound Airport Shuttles cheaper than anybody else. Best!