We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alegria BnB to La Paz/Poas and more related questions

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Alegria BnB to La Paz/Poas and more related questions

I wanted to hire a taxi and go as early as possible to La Paz.

Does anyone know what time they open? How long of a ride will it be from Alegria BnB? And, how much would that taxi cost approximately?

I'm guessing they open at 9am, the ride is a 30-45 min and that the taxi for 4 will be $10.

And, then, after lunch, I'd like to go to Poas from La Paz, with a taxi again - another $10? And, a taxi from Poas back to Alegria?

I know the admission to La Paz is $35. Does that include a guide? or is there a printed self-study guide book?

Thanks! We're flying in tomorrow!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alegria BnB to La Paz/Poas and more related questions

LaPaz is open 8 AM to 5 PM according to their website. However I think this is a very poor plan and you don't have a good handle on costs. Poas Volcano typically clouds over by mid- morning so if you want to see anything there other than mist you should head there 1st thing. It opens at 8 AM and is a 45 minute drive from your B&B. After 1-1.5 hours there, head downhill to LaPaz, eat lunch there tour the grounds and hike to 5 waterfalls. You don't need a guide and there's no guidebook that I know of. Your taxi costs will be triple what you listed and you can't count on finding a taxi at Poas. Muchnbteer to hire a driver for the day or take an organized tour that includes both stops. Your B&B can help you set up a driver or an organized tour.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alegria BnB to La Paz/Poas and more related questions

Thanks, the tours, I had checked didn't pick us up till between 10 and 11am, and I have folks in my party who have much more energy in the morning (senior citizens) - I'm not sure if we'll be able to do Poas as I remember it being somewhat higher altitude and thinner air full of sulphur when I went 8 years ago. But, if we're going to do it, I like your idea of doing it first, thanks!

I may ask our private driver to arrange this for us after we get there tomorrow and I after confirming with all the group. In the meanwhile, I'll email them and ask if they have availability.

3. Re: Alegria BnB to La Paz/Poas and more related questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, November 21, 2012